Score!

thehackmechanic

Reaction score
Ok. I've owned this '73 3.0CSi for 25 years. I used to write about it frequently in Roundel, but about six years ago I insured it on a Hagerty collector car policy, which means I pay dirt to insure it but I can't commute to work in it, so since then it's seen very few miles.

Two weeks ago a local guy sent me an e-mail saying he had a 1982 635CSi Alpina B9 3.5 that had been submerged under seven feet of water in the recent floods we had up here in Northeast. I checked out the car. It was rusty and its true Alpina pedigree was not chiseled in stone, but lo and behold it had staggered Alpina wheels. I did not want to deal with parting the car out. I wound up doing a deal with Mario Langsten (vsr1.com) where I bought the car for $800, pulled the wheels and the steering wheel, and sold the rest to Mario for $400.

So I got a set of staggered 16" Alpina wheels and an Alpina steering wheel for $400. And they're straight. The rear ones have had the clear coat eaten into by brake dust, but from ten feet they look great. And the front ones are just about perfect.

I mounted g-force sports on them and threw them on the 3.0.

I also threw in a set of beige houndstooth hundred-dollar 320i Recaros that are a fairly good match to the cream leather.

Instantly, it all swung around. Why, exactly, am I not spending every waking moment driving this car?

Sometimes, life IS good.

Now if only I could get it an inch lower without worrying about tearing up the front fender lips.

img_0829r.jpg

img_0830r.jpg

img_0831r.jpg

img_0832r.jpg

img_0833r.jpg

img_0834r.jpg

img_0835r.jpg

img_0836r.jpg
img_0838r.jpg

--Rob

Last edited:

x_atlas0

Reaction score
Rob-

Good to see you on the board! I read some of your articles in the Roundel. As I recall, I asked you a few years back about AC upgrades for the coupe, and you were a huge help.

JMinPDX

Site Donor
Site Donor $
Reaction score
Nice going Rob! Glad to have you on the board. Is this a preview of a future column?

John M

CookeD

Reaction score
Hey Rob,

I don't see "Firebird Boy's" Firebird listed in your signature...!

Just kidding-- Good luck with the car, and yes, you should write about the un-mothballing of the CSi.

vince

Site Donor
Reaction score
Nice find Rob!

I love your column. I almost wrote you a couple of months ago when you were considering selling your 5-speed E39 wagon and say 'DON'T DO IT!!, YOU'LL REGRET IT'.

I've been mad at myself ever since I sold ours two years ago. As you mentioned, 5 speed tourings with the sport package are super rare.

Recently, I was able to convince the boss that we really needed an E39 M5. It has helped ease the pain.

TodB

Reaction score
HM

Love the column and from a fellow MA lad to boot!

Good score, BTW.

Feel free to plug this board in the next column :-D

thehackmechanic

Reaction score
Thanks, everyone, for the notes.

For those who can't see the embedded pics, I've added them as attachments.

--Rob

Attachments

• IMG_0829rr.jpg
    IMG_0829rr.jpg
    70.6 KB · Views: 133
  • IMG_0830rr.jpg
    IMG_0830rr.jpg
    73.7 KB · Views: 139
  • IMG_0831rr.jpg
    IMG_0831rr.jpg
    76.2 KB · Views: 127
  • IMG_0838rr.jpg
    IMG_0838rr.jpg
    53.6 KB · Views: 121

craterface

Site Donor
Reaction score
Ride height

Rob
The car looks great with the new wheels, but I have to agree about the ride height. Just a smidge too high with those wheels. Dig the seats, too.
Scott

Arde

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Verona rules!
I assume it doesn't have the spacers at the top of the shocks, otherwise removing them lowers the front a bit I recall.

thehackmechanic

Reaction score
Again, thanks everyone.

It's actually Signal Red -- a Mercedes 190E and 300E color from the '80s.

Shock tower spacers long since gone.

It's got KYBs in the rear and Bilstein HDs in the front. Probably 12 years ago I broke the threaded studs off the top of one of the rear Billys. Was out of money. Threw some cheap KYBs in the back and basically forgot about it until this week. But I doubt that has anything to do with the ride height.