Sealed Headlight upgrade to H1/H4 ???

abe3.0CSi

Reaction score
I want to upgrade...any suggestions? Autohauz has some from Hella, daniel lighting has a few brands....I know about adding relays, but I need advice on getting rid of the US sealed lamps and doing a direct replacement without modifications.
abe

x_atlas0

Reaction score
I was able to put the H1 H4 combo (purchased from Carl Nelson) and fit them into the sealed beam buckets with some minor modifications to the H-series housings. There were some raised sections on the inner ring surface that prevented a good fit with the original buckets. The wiring was the same.

Arde

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Hella is a simple replacement. Just need to order the right variant depending on whether you have US vs. Euro wiring. I did not add relays, just the way it was in 1972, a single relay for high beams.

DougE

Site Donor
Reaction score
Direct Fit

Hella, Marshall or Cibe should be a direct fit without any modification. I have installed Hellas with 55-watt super white xenon bulbs, I would not recommend running 100 watt bulbs. They are tough on your electrical system and tough for on-coming traffic.

Doug

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Hellas

Abe,

I bought Hella H1/H4s from Mesa Performance ($45 each) and they fit perfectly. My coupe has a relay for the high beam but no low beam relay. Without adding a low beam relay you won't get 100% of the light output because the power comes from a 14 or 16 gauge wire that travels up and back from the steering column before it reaches the low beam. It is easy to add the relay and I have a diagram somewhere. What is really crazy is my `69 2002 had no relays or fuses for the headlights, talk about asking for trouble! I added fused relays so I can sleep at night.