Searching for a 2002 - more details

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
i miss my 2002's ... all were square tails. 2 were '76's and one was a 74. i have given some thought to selling the 911 and getting another 2002. that's a hard decision, but something i need to think about.

my last '76 was a real radical car, i passed a bike on this north georgia mountain road (it was a damp day) and he tried to keep up with me. at the bottom of the mountain he had to ask me what was in the car ... he couldn't believe it was a 2L - 4 banger. okay, it redlined above 7500 rpm. korman built the engine, 5 speed + suspension ... and put it all together. dyno sheet i saw showed around 170 hp at rear wheels ... no low torque, but it revved up fast with its schrick 316 cam and 45 dcoes ... and it was a thirsty beast.

Last edited:

vince

Site Donor
Reaction score
I've had 4 02s, 3 Roundies and 1 Square. The '75 was the best, completely rust free, sunroof, and Fjord. I did a lot of work on it including a correct euro bumper conversion. I sold it on BaT to buy my Dinan S1 e39 M5. I love 02s but I love my M5 more, a lot more. So fun to drive with all the comfort and conveniences of a newer car.
IMG_0377.JPG
IMG_0402.JPG
IMG_0096.JPG

vince

Site Donor
Reaction score
@vince, that Fjord '02 is awesome, perfect match to your Coupe. Must have been a bit hard to sell yet someone bought a great '02.

Thanks Andrew! I built it as kind of a 'mini me' to my coupe. I did really well on it and bought my M5 before they took off. I think the e39 M5 (all BMWs of that era) was the pinnacle for BMW. Styling really started to slide soon after, turbos for everything, and SkyNet took over. There isn't a new BMW that I get really excited about.

Even the upcoming M2, they are changing the styling in the wrong direction.

billpatterson

Site Donor
Reaction score
@Mike Pelly so with 5 minutes (on Bat) to go on a 72tii-I noticed that they deleted the knee line. Is this a common practice on a tii?

Beautiful!
Knee trim became a thing in '71. So it was removed from that '72. I removed/welded close the knee trim from my '71 to 'cherry' it a bit along with the front and rear corner reflectors.

Cheers

1642367978781.jpeg

1642368013096.jpeg

Last edited:

Rex Kapriellian

Reaction score
81K that was impressive. I’m not sure how I feel about that knee trim. My tii is as at metal and need to make a decision about deleting the trim line and indicators. Is this a preference only? Does it sway value with or without?

Rex Kapriellian

Reaction score
Beautiful!
Knee trim became a thing in '71. So it was removed from that '72. I removed/welded close the knee trim from my '71 to 'cherry' it a bit along with the front and rear corner reflectors.

Cheers

View attachment 134167

View attachment 134168
Beautiful!

Cheers

View attachment 134167

View attachment 134168
Nice car Bill!

billpatterson

Site Donor
Reaction score
Hi Rex
Thx! It was a nut n bolt resto over 3 y. A gift to me after grad school. I sold it a few years ago. Yes…regretful however unemployment and bills don’t necessarily facilitate project cars. That said, I have recouped (no pun) with a series 2A resto and recently a ‘73 E3 resto.

Cheers

Last edited: