Seat belt question for 1970 2800 CS

Berkeley Bob

Reaction score
Hi,

I am a new owner with a 1970 2800 CS (yes, I love the car!!) and I have a seat belt question that hopefully someone can answer.

The first order of business was to replace the seatbelts which were ancient and really hard to adjust. I'm not mechanically inclined and I know my limits but the good news is that I have an old friend who owns an independent BMW shop who is helping me with my project.

We went with new retractable seat belts mounted using the original anchors behind the backseats. The problem is the reel is maxed out and the seatbelt rubs and binds in the gap where the belt comes through the backseat.

I researched the issue on this forum and I am aware of the fix where an anchor is bolted into the roof but I don't want to go that route for a few reasons (cost, safety, risk of messing up the headliner, etc.).

My mechanic friend thinks the best solution is getting some type of extension straps such as our pictured below in this 3.0.

Has anyone had any experience with this configuration? Does anyone know where to get the type of extension straps pictured or something similar?

Thanks in advance for your help and insight!

Attachments

• IMG_3787.JPG
    IMG_3787.JPG
    192 KB · Views: 392
  • IMG_3788.JPG
    IMG_3788.JPG
    182.5 KB · Views: 405

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
If it helps, your car doesn't have the anchor bolt in the roof anyway.

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
the simple fix is a lap belt on a tension reel like Coupeking sells. i have been exploring the use of a belt like what is used on a 630 / 635 csi. that would be mounted on the B pillar - by enlarging the existing hole slightly. then mount the turning point at the bottom of the wood trim. i have attached a couple of pics to illustrate the idea. the first is the enlargement of the hole ... the 2nd is Paul Cain's interior with the routing of the seat belt. and the third shows the turning point ... but i don't like the e30 bar.

seat belts - e30 - mount.jpg

seat belt - paul cain.jpg

seat belts - e30.jpg

Keshav

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
The Paul Cain 'version' is extremely well executed. I remember when he was first done with his car and posted the results/ pictures. It was THE car then (and is today too). Even the color of the leather is fantastic. I can't recall another car that is so well presented, even by today's standards.

starcruiser

Reaction score
Hello Berkeley Bob,
Would be interested in selling the old set of seatbelts?
Thanks, Starcruiser