Seatbelts don't engage.

AndyK

Reaction score
My 1972 CSI's front seatbelts don't engage properly, when pulled forward sharply they run freely. Not much use!

I am told they are still availabe from BMW, but they cost £205. Does anyone know a repair, a cheaper source, or if any other cars share the same unit.

As a newish CSI owner i'd appreciate some tips.

Many thanks, Andy

Malc

Reaction score
Andy
If the belts are like the ones fitted to my 2002Tii then they don't "lock" just by pulling sharply on the belt. THey have a "pendulum lock" which engages on violent movement - best checked by hitting the brakes suddenly - then they should lock.

Are your belts fitted via roof mount or the "over your shoulder" from behind the drivers seat?

If roof mounted then ones from an E28, older 5 series should fit. However I would be a little hesitant about using old belts as you cannot tell if they have ever been in a crash just by looking at them. THough new ones from BMW are expensive - what price to avoid death?

In the UK Britax still make kits to fit belts to older cars, both static and inertia reel. There are several companies offering belts for "classic" cars in the UK, Search on the web and look in the Mag "Practical Classics"

If I notice anything I'll let you know
Cheers
Malc

AndyK

Reaction score
The seatbelts run over the shoulder to an anchor point and then down, if i remember rightly.

I've not come across this mechanism before, so i'll have to give it a test. I'll let you know.

Thanks

gazzol

Reaction score
Hi Andy, Malc is right in what he says some belts don't engage unless you brake suddenly. Sometimes it is possible to make them more responsive by slackening off the bolt and tipping the mechanism towards the front of the car SLIGHTLY, too much and you will struggle to release them if they do activate. Having said that sometimes there is a locating dowel in the stem so you can only fit them in one position.

P.S. Malc I've nearly finished the hydraulic servo conversion, will be done this weekend inc brakes bled. Will send you pics, did you get the last lot I sent you?