Selling 1970 2800 CS - VIN 2270271

larkinca

Reaction score
1970 BMW 2800 CS. Originally sold in and has always remained in California. A worthy restoration project. Asking $5,950.

From BMW Historic Archive: BMW 2800 CS US, # 2270271, was manufactured on May 26, 1970 and delivered on June 3, 1970 to the US-importer Hoffman Motors Corp. in New York City. The original colour was Nevada.

The car was sold to its first retail customer in Los Angeles, and has spent all of its years in Southern California. I have a copy of the title issued in 1989 to the person from whom I purchased the car that indicates the car had California license plates from 1970.

Engine is a 3.2 liter unit from a 733i and has a “later” cylinder head marked “84.” Has stock appearance except for the “3.3/3.5” designation cast into the left side of the block.

I purchased the car in 2003 and made some repairs to improve its operation and reliability. It now starts easily, runs well and can be reliably driven for long distances. Transmission shifts well and clutch is in good condition. Odometer is working, however total mileage is unknown. I have a clear California title in my name. Registration is on “planned non-operation” status and no back fees are due. Exempt from the California Smog Check since it is a pre-1976 model. Three of the four power windows work well, but the driver’s struggles to raise once it has been opened.

Spare parts included:
• Suspension and brakes from 1973 3.0 CSI (used) – for 4 wheel disc brake conversion
• Sun visor headliner area (used)
• Front brake rotors (new in box)
• Original Zenith carburetors (in need of rebuild)
• Tan leather front seats from 1974 3.0 CS in good condition (used)
• Rear sub frame mounts (new)
• Gaskets for both windshield and rear window (new in BMWNA wrapping)
• 3 key copies
• Factory shop manual on CD – new, never opened

Replaced (2003 or later):
• Weber 38/38 DGAS carburetors and new throttle linkage - Jam Engineering
• High capacity radiator – From Carl Nelson
• Viscous clutch 7 blade cooling fan conversion – Carl Nelson
• Remanufactured distributor – Mesa Performance
• Thermostat housing
• Belts
• Water pump
• Thermostat
• Accelerator pedal
• Fuel lines
• Crane XR-3000 optical ignition system – Mesa Performance
• 16 inch factory BMW alloy wheels from a 2003 530i

Issues include
• Some rust in rear wheel well areas
• Surface rust at bottom of windshield opening and near door window openings
• Air conditioning needs work
• Upholstery / headliner/dash (see pictures)
• Odometer functional - not sure of actual mileage though
• Clock non-functional

Please view the album at:

http://picasaweb.google.com/kf6trg/1...eat=directlink

Video of the engine starting and operating:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AOCz7ipc5S4

Please e-mail me with questions.

Thank you.

Last edited:

IS3FIFTY

Reaction score
What wheels come with the car? The old pix show chrome BBS type ones. What kind are they on the recent pix?

IS3FIFTY

Reaction score
...and I'm the lucky new owner. I had a '92 E34 for a while but I'm new to E9s so would love to hear from members in the San Diego area. The car needs a fair amount of work and I can't wait to get started. But, honestly, I'm not sure where to start... so any advice is welcome :-D