Selling my '51 GMC... eBay was a bust

dang

Administrator
Site Donor
Reaction score
I ran my first auction on eBay during the holiday week and it only got up to $5k. I'm not sure what to expect as far as a selling price but others that have seen it in person thought $8-10k was reasonable. The second run on eBay got up to $6900. It's a GMC not a Chevy, I get it, but I'm a little surprised. One eBay bidder came by and looked at the truck in person and offered $7k but said I should see what I can get other ways first. I ended my latest eBay auction and won't be going back, I'm not happy and they're charging $40 each time I run an auction because I have a reserve.

So, I thought I'd try BaT. I start the process and immediately notice that they don't even have GMC as a choice on their dropdown menu. Hmmm, is this a sign? I'll finish up with BaT when I have a little more time but I thought it was kinda funny.

I'm sticking with BMW's from this point on.

1.jpg

jmackro

Reaction score
BaT loves vehicles like your's. I suspect BaT is what the ebay buyer with the $7K offer was hinting at.

No GMC pull-down? Just click on "Chevrolet" or contact the people at BaT directly (unlike ebay, there are humans at BaT).

I'm sticking with BMW's from this point on.

Always a good strategy.

dang

Administrator
Site Donor
Reaction score
Don't get me wrong, I'm coming to terms with selling it for $7k. LOL

teahead

aka "Rob"
Site Donor $
Reaction score
Ebay is great for exposure, but sub $10k cars don't get love because of the high cost for transportation.

Another issue is that truck, although cool, is completely stock. Folks who want completely stock relics are old and dying and don't want a project.

If it was dropped with a modern-ish front clip and a non-flathead engine, it'd be $12-15k.

dang

Administrator
Site Donor
Reaction score

Take the $7k and run.
You're comparing this truck to mine? No wonder I don't get bids on eBay. Let's just say that a 3/4 ton long bed compared to a 1/2 ton short bed is not quite the same as comparing a 2800cs to a 3.0cs.

Belgiumbarry

Reaction score

:)

Peter Coomaraswamy

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
If I had a truck like the red one, I'd get a personalized plate that reads "OLD PAINT" and drive whenever my e9 was not in service (no comments please)! That is an absolutely cool ride exactly the way it is!!!

Maybe put a Johnny Cash sticker in the rear window :cool:

vince

Site Donor
Reaction score
Love your truck Dan! Sorry to see that you are selling it. I'm into old BMWs and old Chevy/GMC Pickups. Over the last few years, I've fixed up and sold 4 '67-'80 GM trucks. The best was a '72 Cheyenne Super (Hawaiian Blue and White) that I completely restored. It was all stock with factory tilt and tach and that great blue houndstooth interior except for the 383 stroker I had built for it. Never should have sold it. I'd love to have an earlier one like yours but we have way too many cars right now (5 BMWs).

Seems like that is a great price for such a cool truck.

dang

Administrator
Site Donor
Reaction score
Love your truck Dan! Sorry to see that you are selling it. I'm into old BMWs and old Chevy/GMC Pickups. Over the last few years, I've fixed up and sold 4 '67-'80 GM trucks. The best was a '72 Cheyenne Super (Hawaiian Blue and White) that I completely restored. It was all stock with factory tilt and tach and that great blue houndstooth interior except for the 383 stroker I had built for it. Never should have sold it. I'd love to have an earlier one like yours but we have way too many cars right now (5 BMWs).

Seems like that is a great price for such a cool truck.
We have WAY too much in common. LOL. Yeah, this time I actually have space and I don't have to sell it but I just don't think I'll drive it enough. You get spoiled to BMW engineering and when you have limited time to enjoy your rides I find myself choosing BMW's to drive instead of old trucks. Even if the old BMW's don't get an much attention. It was really strange for me. I drove the truck to the gas station and had a bunch of people come over and check it out, take photos, ask questions, then I realized later that the cool part is how much enjoyment others get from it. I think it's cool but others were flipping out.

zinz

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I’ve had 3 GMCs in my lifetime. One day I will have a classic. I wish I could justify yours, Dan, but I have Papa’s old Chevy and I can hardly drive it anywhere without someone asking if it’s for sale... I’ll likely keep it forever.

D5AA5703-242E-4020-984A-A6CEAD5CA619.jpeg

Good luck with the sale!

Ed Z

Attachments

• 0A723DE1-7D43-4BA2-A158-50A329CF5336.jpeg
    0A723DE1-7D43-4BA2-A158-50A329CF5336.jpeg
    362.4 KB · Views: 109

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
Maybe drive it over to Sonoma and see if Cline wants to buy an event trunk. Wrong truck,
right color...

Bmachine

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Am I the only one who thinks "I really don't need anything like this truck, and I'm not even remotely into pickup trucks, but it would be so cool ... just to have it"?

dang

Administrator
Site Donor
Reaction score
I submitted my truck to BaT and they never got back to me. I sold the truck yesterday to a local guy instead. I realized when he was driving away that I'd never seen it on the road since I was always driving it. I almost told him I changed my mind. 8-/

Gary Knox

E9 Member Emeritus
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Congrats Dan. I know the feeling as the vehicle is driven away (last one was a Porsche 928 GTS that went to Oregon, before that a MB 560 SEC that went to Maine).

I think the truck needs a personal license plate that states: PATINA

Cheers, and hope the withdrawal symptoms will ease with time.

Gary

dave v. in nc

Site Donor $
Reaction score
I have never sold anything locally, and happy that I didn't...relative to the above remorseful thoughts. I'm getting ready to sell my e9 project car soon. If you're local, don't call.