Selling my '74 on BAT now

ItsFred

Site Donor
Reaction score
Just wanted to mention that the beautiful granatrot '74 just posted on BAT yesterday is indeed the car that Michael Berlin and Sven Larsen built up and documented here. This was a car I NEVER was going to sell but age and illness have caught up with me. I sold it to Mark Starr of Hunting Ridge Motors because I don't have the wherewithal to handle it myself. Be sure to check out Mark's video. I already miss it. Fred "itsfred" Roses

1974_bmw_3.0cs_DSC00661-1.jpg

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
right there with you Don ... granatrot is a gorgeous color. that was my 2nd choice (close) behind ceylon. if there weren't 3 baikal coupes in the ATL area ... that would have entered into the conversation ... especially since mine was originally baikal

ItsFred

Site Donor
Reaction score
I thought the color looked great when I sold it to Mark Starr. However, he had a paint correction done and now it's spectacular. It seems to have lost some of the maroon/brown tone it had and now it's close to cherry.

I believe the auction is going to end well for Mark. Back in 2018 I paid a steep price on BaT, and Mark took a bold position and paid me my retail purchase cost. Then he spent more money on extensive detailing, great photography, and an awesome video, which I could never have done. Can't wait to see the final results. Looks like you fellows have all made a smart investment.

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
i think you are correct Chris. gives you something to shoot for with the chamonix. the difference for you is you have the numbers matching engine and the b35 and its @HBChris with a coupeking resto = bigger bucks

tmh

Reaction score
I believe that engine, five speed, and enhancements increased the price over what a matching numbers car would ever bring. I realize it depends on the buyer.

bmw2800cs

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
This again proves Dave Kindig's properties needed for a first-class car: Color, Stance, & Performance.
Very interesting, good to know. I was convinced it needed pedigree, it needed to be restored by a top restoration person/house. This one doesn't state that in the BAT description but this thread does say that it was restored by Michael Berlin and Sven Larsen, I'm assuming that it was a top notch, well documented restoration and that their work is well known. So what do you think, Color, Stance, Performance AND pedigree or would a good restoration without the pedigree get similar money? Would pedigree have gotten another $40,000?

Drew Gregg

Site Donor
Reaction score
Very interesting, good to know. I was convinced it needed pedigree, it needed to be restored by a top restoration person/house. This one doesn't state that in the BAT description but this thread does say that it was restored by Michael Berlin and Sven Larsen, I'm assuming that it was a top notch, well documented restoration and that their work is well known. So what do you think, Color, Stance, Performance AND pedigree or would a good restoration without the pedigree get similar money? Would pedigree have gotten another $40,000?
I think those 3 qualities will only come from a shop or people that really know how these cars are made and taken apart. A Pebble Beach Concours winning shop that has never worked on a BMW CS is not going to give you a car like the one in this auction.

tmh

Reaction score
It certainly appeared to be a quality restoration from multiple individuals that were familiar with the car. $166k puts it fairly high up there as to top dollar. High quality is generally self evident.

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I think those 3 qualities will only come from a shop or people that really know how these cars are made and taken apart. A Pebble Beach Concours winning shop that has never worked on a BMW CS is not going to give you a car like the one in this auction.
Well this past summer two CSi were sold for around $175 and $200K without pedigree and a ton of bondo both on BaT.

ItsFred

Site Donor
Reaction score
I only named Michael and Sven because they are members here and their resto was documented here. They definitely sweated the details. Fred