Series 1 Batmobile for sale at RM Auctions - Monterey

craterface

Site Donor
Reaction score
Thanks

Yannick,
I don't know any of the parties involved, but I am interested in owning a CSL at some point, so thanks for posting.
Scott

giannicsl

Reaction score
I DO NOT BUY THIS MUCH TO ARRANGE CSL EVEN FOR $ 10000!

is ALL WRONG!

STRIPPING AND REDO is ALL!

MONEY MANY MANY MANY!

YANNICK CHEERS!

THANK YOU FOR YOUR SCIENCE!!

YOU ARE THE BEST!

CSL FRAUD JUST SOLD BY WEIGHT OF GOLD!

Tierfreund

Reaction score
@Yannick:

Now that´s what I call a response! Excellent in tone, content, detail. Your subject knowledge is exceptional as is your attention to detail. Following your line of argumentation makes your points about the paid price absolutley understandable.
CSLs are not my market but I´m deeply impressed and wish such expertise was around whenever I spend my €...

eastsideM3

Reaction score
When I see this, I wonder how much the value of an untouched strictly original lightweight with all its original panels should be ?

The problem is most people in the CSL world dont know what to compare it to. I think you proved that point in this thread.

30csl

Site Donor
Reaction score
Yannick has always been more than willing to help people with CSL queries and was very helpful during my bat restoration. I did not read his post as a personal attack, merely pointing out the negatives on the car.

Most of which can be fairly easily remedied anyway.

Arde

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Wow, I would have never found 5 of the 6 items.
Hate to think how many things may be wrong with my car.

CSL 1973

Reaction score
Some errors on the most expensive CSL

Almost all CSLs have "something wrong". I remember BMW Classic's own CSL (4355046), that was sold at the Dubai auction last year. It went for more than 200k USD and was renovated by BMW classic and still with a lot of "wrong things":

- New style brake fluid cannister
- Wrong style of hood support holder
- Torpedo wall rubber covers in wrong direction
- Wrong color on the headlight-cover plastic/metal bolts (black instead of white)
- New style airfilter clamps
- Black windshield washer tubes
- Wrong heather-console (a pre-73 style in a car built in May 1975 - should have texts instead of symbols!)

And the biggest deviation from factory original: the car was Polaris from factory, but Chamonix after BMW Classics renovation. Not even BMW Classic gets everything in a correct way when they renovate their own cars.

This car is, so far, the most expensive street CSL sold at an Auction. I'm pretty sure it's a really nice car and renovated to pristine condition. The details I have mentioned above are easy to correct.

Serious errors like non-alu doors etc could hold down the price for a CSL, but details like for 4355046 should have no impact on the price. There are so few CSLs and Bats for sale, so the market always decides the price.

My personal opinion is, as long as the CSLs are much cheaper compared to Porsche Carrerra RS, the upside is much bigger than the down-side as regards to CSL price evaluation.

I would not be surprised if we, in the near future, would see prices paid around 250-300k euro for pristine and rare street CSLs (still with a lot of small details that needs to be corrected).

Cheers
Henric

Last edited:

CSL 1973

Reaction score
That's maybe what is usually called "a car with an interesting history record" in Auction catalogues. A photo with the dog should really be in the dossier of the car ... BTW, I think BMW bought 4355046 from France in December 1998.

Cheers

Henric

Last edited:

CSL 1973

Reaction score
Inka Bat

merlin32,

Of course, such car is really unique. It must be one of the first in the last batch of 57 CSL cars (4355001?). Great if you have this car and would like to share info + pictures.

Cheers
Henric

Last edited:

merlin32

Reaction score
Hi Henric,
Yes your right, 1974, will post some infos soon.. 2275 is no Inka Bat built.
cheers Markus

CSLCOUPE

Reaction score
Looks like a high school restoration project ? The front spoiler-wheel opening is BOSS :roll: .......... WHAT A MESS