Several Coupes (CS & CSL) to be auctioned by IRS

Stevehose

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Glad it worked out for Jimmy, and also glad I didn't drive 8 hours to learn of it there :)

rdanco

Reaction score
Hell of a ride! A lot of angry parties but for the underdog, it was pure bliss. Glad to have met some of you there and even more glad Jimmy worked a deal to keep his property. Until the next one boys.

Drew Gregg

Site Donor
Reaction score
Does the owner Jimmy actually drive all of these cars? It would be nice to know the rest of the story about his collection.

Oldbmwcoupes

Reaction score
I was there as well. I asked several people if they were e9 members but got a cold answer and was somewhat rudely ”shewed“ away. I was just hoping to meet other coupe guys so that I might be able to put faces with names. That was a bit of an off putting disappointment. I came prepared to purchase at least one of the cars. However, I’m actually happy that somebody’s lifetime collection didn’t get strewn to the far corners of the world.

I hope to meet more of the group in person in the future.

mark

jimtechnik

Reaction score
I personally didn’t have a long drive since I relocated from CT to Northern AL , truly glad he got to keep his belongings. I could only imagine seeing some of these vultures who were slamming the e34 m5 hood not knowing how it closed etc and sitting in the e9s while yanking on everything, slamming . Picking through everything . I also feel for the people who took $1000 flights , hotels , uhauls, rentals, time off etc.
But I think everyone knew the risk.

Was worth the conversations , cars, and networking.

Didn’t go empty handed picked up a rust free 87 325 manual in fyffe AL on way back to Huntsville.

@BMW Pete lots of assumptions, we went and asked some people what happened after seeing Jimmy sitting in back etc… game of telephone perhaps. Admirable of you anyways.

Cheers.

x_atlas0

Reaction score
I was there as well. I asked several people if they were e9 members but got a cold answer and was somewhat rudely ”shewed“ away. I was just hoping to meet other coupe guys so that I might be able to put faces with names. That was a bit of an off putting disappointment. I came prepared to purchase at least one of the cars. However, I’m actually happy that somebody’s lifetime collection didn’t get strewn to the far corners of the world.

mark
Mark-

I think there was some standoff-ish attitudes because of the auction nature of the event. Events like 'The Vintage' are much more open and welcoming.

wkohler

Site Donor
Reaction score
Interesting situation. I’m glad he got to hang onto his collection, hopefully long term rather than the 2 month stay mentioned above. Would love to see some photos of the E28. Have heard about this car but have never seen it.

BMW Pete

Site Donor
Reaction score
@Oldbmwcoupes

With respect - If you had taken a moment to look you would have seen a few people talking to a guy who was nearly in tears, talking about his wife dying and all trouble he had with the tax situation. That was Jimmy talking to a small group of his friends, not an E9 group.

I certainly apologize if you think you were rudely shewed away, as the whole event over two days was a great group of people I really enjoyed getting to meet many, put names to faces of many who were there. I probably answered hundreds of questions from people I didn't know on CSLs and was as helpful as I could be even though I was there to buy myself. I openly told anybody who asked what I was there to buy and what I wasn't interested in - also told everybody they can happily outbid me, no hard feelings.

I had agreed with many others there to buy all the parts (because they were one lot) and was going to distribute them with help from @rsporsche and @peterinfla to other E9 (and other) buyers there, specifically and especially all parts connected to particular cars - I had people from this forum calling me from different parts of the country and I saw other forum members mentioned above offering the same "friendship" to less knowledgeable people there.

If you noticed, we were tucked away from everybody (Jimmy asked us to find a quiet place to talk) away from the cars, everybody else left us alone, even people that know me really well, they could see what was happening and waited until the conversation was over to come and say hello. When you asked the question, everybody went silent and was shocked, somebody said "no" you then asked again and I was the one (because everybody literally couldn't believe it) said politely "if you don't mind, its a private conversation" because it was exactly that.

I am sorry you feel like you were rudely turned away, but you really did miss all the clues on what was a very private and emotional conversation. To be clear, not a group of E9 guys from this forum, but a group of guys consoling a friend talking about his wife's death and how it had led to the situation he was in today.

As you saw, just minutes after you came up to us, Jimmy collapsed.

I hope that clears up your disappointment and should not reflect on anybody here, if anybody is to blame its me and bad timing on your part unfortunately

Last edited:

Oldbmwcoupes

Reaction score
Pete, thanks for the clarification, it’s most appreciated. i Can only hope that he’s recovered and can relax knowing that his collection is safe. Unfortunately, not knowing who members are can create awkward situations like this. I look forward to enjoying many more coupe conversation in the future without a stressful environment for any.

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
@Oldbmwcoupes

With respect - If you had taken a moment to look you would have seen a few people talking to a guy who was nearly in tears, talking about his wife dying and all trouble he had with the tax situation. That was Jimmy talking to a small group of his friends, not an E9 group.

I certainly apologize if you think you were rudely shewed away, as the whole event over two days was a great group of people I really enjoyed getting to meet many, put names to faces of many who were there. I probably answered hundreds of questions from people I didn't know on CSLs and was as helpful as I could be even though I was there to buy myself. I openly told anybody who asked what I was there to buy and what I wasn't interested in - also told everybody they can happily outbid me, no hard feelings.

I had agreed with many others there to buy all the parts (because they were one lot) and was going to distribute them with help from @rsporsche and @peterinfla to other E9 (and other) buyers there, specifically and especially all parts connected to particular cars - I had people from this forum calling me from different parts of the country and I saw other forum members mentioned above offering the same "friendship" to less knowledgeable people there.

If you noticed, we were tucked away from everybody (Jimmy asked us to find a quiet place to talk) away from the cars, everybody else left us alone, even people that know me really well, they could see what was happening and waited until the conversation was over to come and say hello. When you asked the question, everybody went silent and was shocked, somebody said "no" you then asked again and I was the one (because everybody literally couldn't believe it) said politely "if you don't mind, its a private conversation" because it was exactly that.

I am sorry you feel like you were rudely turned away, but you really did miss all the clues on what was a very private and emotional conversation. To be clear, not a group of E9 guys from this forum, but a group of guys consoling a friend talking about his wife's death and how it had led to the situation he was in today.

As you saw, just minutes after you came up to us, Jimmy collapsed.

I hope that clears up your disappointment and should not reflect on anybody here, if anybody is to blame its me and bad timing on your part unfortunately

Thanks for the additional context @BMW Pete. Sounds like it was just an awkward day for all parties, and especially painful for Jimmy. I’m glad it is over.

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Didn’t Jimmy get a two month stay to work something out with the IRS?
Chris, everything was seized 2 years ago. so i think its been a long conversation (probably one-sided). i only hope that this chapter is over for Jimmy, you never know with the IRS.

I was not too far away when Jimmy collapsed, and that was a scary moment - right after the announcement that the auction was stopped. I do think that @BMW Pete spent a good amount of time with him and adding a bit of peace to his situation.
Does the owner Jimmy actually drive all of these cars? It would be nice to know the rest of the story about his collection.
i don't think these cars have been driven in a while. partially because the IRS has had them for 2 years ... before that is unknown.

I was there as well. I asked several people if they were e9 members .... I was just hoping to meet other coupe guys so that I might be able to put faces with names ...

mark
Mark, i can also say that i went there with the intention of buying a CSL, and hoping to find one in amazing shape. on the first day, i decided against buying a car and worked to help inform people who were interested in buying and shared my opinions with them. i talked to many people and spent a lot of time trying to connect with people who might be e9coupe members ... again, very sorry we didn't connect. i luckily did meet quite a few, unfortunately i have the terrible disease of forgetting names right after i meet people ... and luckily some shared contact information.

mario csl giallo golf

Site Donor
Reaction score
ciao a tutti... sono anche molto felice che Jimmy possa tenere i suoi giocattoli. è stato un vero piacere passare del tempo e conoscere @BMW Pete e @peterinfla così come le altre persone che abbiamo incontrato/con cui abbiamo parlato come Matt (@x_atlas0) ... John, Larry, Matt Groner e pochi altri.

@mario csl giallo golf, il CSL centrale è 2275302 - senza ala
Sarebbe bello avere più foto del CSL, io non c'ero, sono dall'altra parte del mondo :)

mario csl giallo golf

Site Donor
Reaction score
Sono felice che Jimmy Baker abbia risolto e interrotto la vendita, una collezione costruita in tanti anni con tanto amore e passione, non può passare di mano così. Ma se da un lato penso che non sia giusto approfittare delle disgrazie economiche altrui, dall'altro penso sia anche giusto che gli appassionati di E9 si siano riuniti, per provare ad acquistare la collezione, meglio qualche appassionato che conservalo con amore, che qualche approfittatore. Scegli il minore dei due mali

I am happy that Jimmy Baker has resolved and discontinued the sale, a collection built over many years with so much love and passion, it cannot change hands like this. But if on the one hand I think it's not right to take advantage of the economic misfortunes of others, on the other I think it's also right that E9 enthusiasts have come together to try and buy the collection, better some enthusiasts who keep it with love, than some profiteers . Choose the lesser of two evils

Last edited by a moderator: