Several unconnected connectors under the steering column...

Bmachine

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Before I go diving deep under there, accompanied by the trusty wiring diagram, I thought I would ask here in case someone has been there before.

I have several wires which are dangling unconnected to anything under the steering column and around the fuse box area. The strange part is that a few of them are multi pin connectors with seemingly no matching male or female plug anywhere... Do any of these jump out at you as being an obvious one? This is a US '74, previously automatic. Two modifications have been made that I know of: a previous owner installed a stereo in the 80's, and the car was converted to 5 speed/Motronic 1.3. I would like to get rid of all of the stereo wiring crap and return the wiring to as close to stock as possible.

1. 7B2F3CA0-9781-45EB-8F7B-39538FFA2E0C.jpeg Double black wire coming from harness at top left

2. 923CF18C-A769-4D79-A623-34EB88426B62.jpeg Round connector in the middle of the frame EDIT: Per HB Chris: The round connector under the dash is backup lights.

3. 9F74CE8A-2F8C-4966-94E7-87BD8E325169.jpeg Multi pin under the steering column. EDIT: This turned out to be part of the Automatic gear selection display on the dashboard.

4. A9667A0B-B103-41B4-87C4-B76AD0AF1021.jpeg Possibly seat buzzer to be connected to relay at top of pic? EDIT: Per Stevehose: Yes that is it.

5.9DD22D93-6C8B-4ECC-87CA-6F8CDA4645CC.jpeg Strange connector under steering column close to steering wheel. I believe the wire on the left goes to horn pin. EDIT: Per Stevehose: Light for the prisma.

Last edited:

Stevehose

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
The red/white in pic 4 looks like it goes to the key buzzer relay right above it. Disconnected because it’s very annoying. Number 5 looks like the prisma bulb holder.

Bmachine

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Progress. After spending some quality time under the dash (always fun and great for your back) I took care of pic number 3 as well: That square multi pin connector was part of the Automatic gear selection display on the dashboard. In the trash it now resides!

Bmachine

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
That leaves these three:

DD6DB584-EA6E-493A-8907-B90E4C448B62.jpeg 1. Two black wires join in a spade. Plus one grey and white wire

AE15B4C0-5C0A-419E-B486-7B8272416ECE.jpeg 2. The lonely round connector on the right side. Although it looks different from most e9 connectors it is part of the original wiring. It is part of the same loom that goes to that relay on the fuse box cover. EDIT: See next post below.

Last edited:

Bmachine

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I just realized that, in another thread, HB Chris said "The round connector under the dash is backup lights, diagram shows only three pins, you have five, but colors are correct for backup, green/white, blue/white and grey/red."
So that should take care of pic number 2 right above.
This would make sense because my reverse lights are not working! The question then becomes where is that one supposed to go since I do not have a matching female connector. I am guessing that this is part of the conversion from auto to manual. But how do I get them to work now???

Ohmess

I wanna DRIVE!
Site Donor $
Reaction score
Bo - Basically, when you put the car in reverse, the backup switch sends power (subject to the ignition switch) back to the backup light bulbs and a ground at the rear of the car completes the circuit.

If I am reading my 1974 wiring diagram correctly, the green/white wire is the power side (connected at fuse 8, which I believe is switched power subject to the load shedding relay). The blue/white wire runs to the back up light bulbs. You need to insert a connector in lieu of the one you have that connects these two wires to the manual backup switch (your car does have a backup light switch, right?). In order to correspond to the wiring diagram, you should buy some green/white and blue/white wiring to go to the switch.

JayWltrs

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Bo - Basically, when you put the car in reverse, the backup switch sends power (subject to the ignition switch) back to the backup light bulbs and a ground at the rear of the car completes the circuit.

If I am reading my 1974 wiring diagram correctly, the green/white wire is the power side (connected at fuse 8, which I believe is switched power subject to the load shedding relay). The blue/white wire runs to the back up light bulbs. You need to insert a connector in lieu of the one you have that connects these two wires to the manual backup switch (your car does have a backup light switch, right?). In order to correspond to the wiring diagram, you should buy some green/white and blue/white wiring to go to the switch.

Here’s pics from 74 CS original manual, noting after-market audio terrorists did a job on my wiring. The missing side of the plug has a looped ground, the green and blue wires lead out the body at a point roughly above the brake pedal, which I assume leads to the switch as Chris mentions. There’s a brown/white wire that leads up, which I didn’t trace.

0041D45D-87E3-4233-B254-838053BFCA8C.jpeg
EE9059B5-2A20-4CEB-9FB0-C5A81CE5D35E.jpeg

Edit fixing dup pic

Last edited:

JayWltrs

Site Donor $
Reaction score
I went back to your main restoration thread, which I love btw. This would seem
like something Mr. Nelson would have accounted for in the 265 swap, right? He might have an easy explanation.

Bmachine

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Here’s pics from 74 CS original manual, noting after-market audio terrorists did a job on my wiring. The missing side of the plug has a looped ground, the green and blue wires lead out the body at a point roughly above the brake pedal, which I assume leads to the switch as Chris mentions. There’s a brown/white wire that leads up, which I didn’t trace.

Edit fixing dup pic
In the "Better Late than Never", a much belated Thank you @JayWltrs for this great answer.

Last edited: