share you thoughts

steve in reno

Reaction score
As a member of this forum I would like to ask for your help.
I am a contractor, plumbing and remodeling, and ask what info source you use if you need a plumber or your bathroom/whatever remodeled?
2 years ago I had 4 employees, now it is just me!
The printed yellow pages are going away.
There are so many options for spending my advertising money. Advertising is very expensive, so I am seeking to get the most bang for the buck.
I can’t think of one company that has taken the lead, advertising and sponsors, in supplying LOCAL ONLY business advertising to the specific area internet market. It probably exists, thus my questions.
I know that I hate to go through more than 3 out of 1,000,000 pages of similar findings for a search!
Here is my web site, very basic. Criticism accepted, direction preferred!
http://aaaplumbingandremodeling.com/
TIA
steve

OCCoupe

Site Donor
Reaction score
Hi Steve, I am in the car business and the internet is certainly a very good way to go. Since you have a website you are already ahead of the game. There is a service you can use that will help you get to the top of a web inquiry, it is referred to as an SEO, (Search Engine Optimizer). I am sure someone on this board either does this sort of work or knows someone that can help. An SEO helps your web listing show up at or towards the top when someone googles "plumber in Reno" or Plumber in XXXXX zip code" The cost of the service varies. The other way to go about it is to post a weekly listing on craigslist and your local news paper. The hardest and most important task is to source where your calls/leads are coming from, this way you can eliminate the advertising source that doesn't work.

Good luck,
Mike

David

Site Donor
Reaction score
I find myself using Yelp (www.yelp.com) more and more to select the folks I want to do business with. Its not only free for you, but also local.

As Mike said, SEO can help too. If you place an ad for SEO help in Craigs List, you will be flooded with respondents offering to help. Note that many will be from overseas.

If you haven't done so already, you might consider setting up a Google Ad account to get familiar with how it works. You can set a budget for any amount (say, $20) to get a feel for it.

Something tells me that as technology pushes forward, old school methods like Church and High School newsletters may actually be quite effective. And if they have electronic versions, then placing a link to your site should be relatively simple and inexpensive.

verde2002

Site Donor
Reaction score
Steve,

I am in a similar industry and have found the best form of advertising to be word of mouth and surprisingly magnetic business cards we distributed in the area we service, people stick them on their refrigerators and call us when they need us. 8x10 paper pamphlets people tend to throw away unless they need the service right away. We have a website that we have spent quite a bit of money on but homestly we get no business from it, you get a thousand other websites in your area competeing with you and the odds of someone clicking on your site is slim to none. We also tried 5x7 color card material pamphlets with a few coupons and specials which also got us a good response.

Stevehose

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
For me when I look for a contractor I always ask friends first. If that doesnt produce any leads then I would hit the internet. To increase my comfort/interest level I would be interested in seeing a few before and after pics of some of your work (just as if I were looking for a car restorer etc), also a picture of you may be apropriate, since you have a personal feel about your site, would add to your site's friendly theme; something to make me feel comfortable about calling you as opposed to someone else. Also I think your meta search tags need some tweaking, perhaps put reno and sparks before your other terms, i couldnt find the site in google for "reno contractor home repairs." I think google priritizes those meta tags but someone with more web knowledge than I could say for sure. Bottom line, since you are a coupe owner, I'd hire you for sure!

blumax

(deceased)
Reaction score
How to stimulate business--

One thought that has always worked:
if you have kept records of your satisfied customers for the past several years--go back to them. I would create a special "Thank You" letter and send to their last address. Thank them for their past business--remind them of your services--and ask them to refer you if they know of anyone that may be in need of your services now, as well as in the future.

This personal approach would not be a very major expense commitment, it goes along with your business being based on referrals--and you may be pleasantly surprised with results.

I do believe your satisfied customers would like to help you in these tough times.

steve in reno

Reaction score
Thanks guys
I do use fridge magnets, but to calls that I respond to and check/bid a job.
I have approx a 300k people in my contact area. Word of mouth is absolutely the best advertising, and much of my business is repeat.
I didn't spend much on my website and do not believe any business has been generated from its existence.
I have been taking pic's of a current bathroom remodel, but in such a small room pic's don't seem to work that well. But I do agree with the idea.
Perhaps a pic of me and my identifiable truck, but then again they would have to been led to the website somehow.
I have been approached by "SEO" businesses with a wide range of costs, $79-250/ month for their help in my listing. In their sales pitch they stated" there had been "159 searches for reno plumber in the prior month", on google. That statement tells me that there really isn't much usage of the internet for searches.
Google "AD WORDS" confused me. And without a customer service dept to help with explanations and setup for this computer illiterate old man, too much.
I will check out yelp.com, but have never heard of them before. So I wonder who in my area has?
Murray... That is an excellent idea and will start on that in the very near future...thanks
Thanks for the input
steve

duct-tape

Site Donor
Reaction score
I wanted to reply butI'm super tired and will follow up. I'm a marketing and fundraising consultant :mrgreen:

I agree with everything listed here, I'd also add that postcard mailing started working well after telemarketing because so prevalent a while back.
getting into a mail group is good but your ad tends to get lost in the clutter.
If you buy a mailing list, you can get the info sorted by demographic, that way you're not wasting money buying names and mailing to people who aren't likely customers.

do a couple direct mail pieces, maybe seasonally, to 5k names. most list companies offer a full color mailer with postage for about 40 cents. (bulk rate) I have a few printing comanies that can do the ink for cheaper.

you can also look into strategic patnerships, referral programs in your area. I have more but i'm having a hard time getting thought to keyboard.

tmason

Reaction score
Option

Hi Steve
Our family own's a printing business here in Reno and I know what the the cost of a Direct Mail piece.You have a couple of option of sending a card to your past customer and thanking them for past business or I like the idea of magnet card or I just printed some Door Hangers for a friend (in heating/air)so when he is on a job he places them on the doors around the job site.The cost for 150 cards was 140.00 diecut so you can place it on door knob,alot of that was to design his card.I always save a card from guy's who does work for me at home and I refer them to friends if they are good. Good luck,Tim.

duct-tape

Site Donor
Reaction score
My favorite printer is dpgink.com you set up a free account and just email them your printing work, they always have crazy deals. I don't want to undercut a forum member (especially a local) dpg does bigger orders, like 2,500 door hangers for $290
they do better on 1/4 and 1/2 page prints though. I used to use them for folded mailers, 10k for $1200 (greeting card style)

Last edited:

61porsche

Reaction score
Food for thought

Is it possible that advertising for plumbing and remodeling sends a mixed message? By that I mean, most contractors do remodeling and the perception is that they might have a conflict since they do the same work and therefore won't consider a plumbing firm who does remodels. Maybe more explaination or clarify.

I'd do a bunch more to add all the types of work.. new construction, drains, after- hours, emergency, fixtures, replacements. The more you list the more chances that someone will be searching for it on the internet.

You need a hook- $10 off if you book over the internet.

If you use regular suppliers- list them.

Green- yep. Water heaters, new faucets, two flush conversions, etc.

If you have text messaging- advertise it.

It's the holidays- people do more remodeling this time of the year than any other- send a email card to your past customers reminding them, thanking them, and the discount. Maybe a referral credited to the next job.

Keywords- are search words. You have to do this.

steve in reno

Reaction score
Thanks guys for your input.
I have listed with a SEO for a reasonable monthly charge.
This is not the silver bullet, but if you don't pull the trigger, nothing, will be what's for dinner!

steve