474.7 KB · Views: 299
  • 6DDEA93B-4C9C-4AAD-B933-1A1D47284A84.jpeg
    6DDEA93B-4C9C-4AAD-B933-1A1D47284A84.jpeg
    506.8 KB · Views: 276

E9Wayne

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Calling all Southern, mid-Atlantic and East Coast Coupers:
Guys, Chris and I just returned from a glorious weekend at Sharkfest 2019 in Spartanburg. We joined Tom Baruch there and Doug Dolan although he brought his Z8...Don Bauer was there too. Although there only six E9s coupes there, we were completely overwhelmed by E24s and E31s as you can imagine. But our cars stood proud and tall and you could tell the general public coming by was really fascinated with the elder coupes that started the whole affair. Anyway, this is my new favorite east coast event and I will be going back next year as I consider the Vintage a little too big for my tastes now whereas this event fells more like a big family reunion where all your relatives drive really nice cars, of course. There were maybe 80 cars there total and the highlight for me was a very rare Alpina 8 Series that took essentially best of show. Kai and Nate run the event, as they have for numerous years and their warmth, comarderie and general zeal for making sure we all have a good time was not lost on me. The highlight was nearly a full day at the Michelin proving grounds in Laurens SC where I tracked Bluebelle for the first time...what total fun. I had no idea my car was capable of such handling! The concours was fun too and dinners and venue overall. The nine hour drive wasn't easy but it was fun and the weather was accommodating with no mechanical mishaps! Seriously guys, this is a fun event! Please come next year and so we can see the E9 crowd at 10 - 20 cars! Andrew, Stan, Tod... I've already decided to come back whereever it it...

Attachments

• IMG_6490.JPG
    IMG_6490.JPG
    570 KB · Views: 260
  • IMG_6494.JPG
    IMG_6494.JPG
    270.6 KB · Views: 266
  • IMG_6498.JPG
    IMG_6498.JPG
    389.7 KB · Views: 272
  • IMG_6500.JPG
    IMG_6500.JPG
    608.1 KB · Views: 259
  • IMG_6502.JPG
    IMG_6502.JPG
    510.4 KB · Views: 260
  • IMG_6503.JPG
    IMG_6503.JPG
    454.3 KB · Views: 261

m5bb

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Calling all Southern, mid-Atlantic and East Coast Coupers:
Guys, Chris and I just returned from a glorious weekend at Sharkfest 2019 in Spartanburg. We joined Tom Baruch there and Doug Dolan although he brought his Z8...Don Bauer was there too. Although there only six E9s coupes there, we were completely overwhelmed by E24s and E31s as you can imagine. But our cars stood proud and tall and you could tell the general public coming by was really fascinated with the elder coupes that started the whole affair. Anyway, this is my new favorite east coast event and I will be going back next year as I consider the Vintage a little too big for my tastes now whereas this event fells more like a big family reunion where all your relatives drive really nice cars, of course. There were maybe 80 cars there total and the highlight for me was a very rare Alpina 8 Series that took essentially best of show. Kai and Nate run the event, as they have for numerous years and their warmth, comarderie and general zeal for making sure we all have a good time was not lost on me. The highlight was nearly a full day at the Michelin proving grounds in Laurens SC where I tracked Bluebelle for the first time...what total fun. I had no idea my car was capable of such handling! The concours was fun too and dinners and venue overall. The nine hour drive wasn't easy but it was fun and the weather was accommodating with no mechanical mishaps! Seriously guys, this is a fun event! Please come next year and so we can see the E9 crowd at 10 - 20 cars! Andrew, Stan, Tod... I've already decided to come back whereever it it...

Great Wayne, glad you had a good time. Kai does a great job putting this on. Sorry I didn't quite make it. Next year.
Are you going to The Vintage?
I hope I make that.
Gary

Ohmess

I wanna DRIVE!
Site Donor $
Reaction score
Yes, the Car Gods blessed me with a flawlessly running car for the weekend.

Here she sits, resplendent on the lawn at the Marriott Spartanburg. (It was almost embarrassing the way that couple gawked at my car the entire afternoon.)
Annabelle Lawn Sharkfest 2018.jpg

Here's Annabelle right before we rolled out onto the Michelin test track:

Annabelle at Michelin Track.jpg

Tom Baruch's car was presented in the lobby for the event:

Lobby Shot Tom's Car.jpg

And speaking of car geeks, here is a picture I took of Matt, who flew in from Tokyo for the event:

Photo Apr 27, 8 08 55 PM.jpg

Matt is obviously a man of good taste, as indicated by this photo:

Shakrfest 2018 e9 lineup Annabelle.jpg

Last edited:

E9Wayne

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Great Wayne, glad you had a good time. Kai does a great job putting this on. Sorry I didn't quite make it. Next year.
Are you going to The Vintage?
I hope I make that.
Gary
Hi Gary, won't make to Vintage this year and I'm not sure about the future either. The time we were there a few years ago with Chris Macha was not a premium event and I don't care as much for their new locale or event coordination. This event is much more tailored to my tastes.

m5bb

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Hi Gary, won't make to Vintage this year and I'm not sure about the future either. The time we were there a few years ago with Chris Macha was not a premium event and I don't care as much for their new locale or event coordination. This event is much more tailored to my tastes.

Yeah, you're not the only one to say that. All of us have too but I have been to everyone except the first and I guess I just feel obligated. It's very grass roots and as I get older the crowd gets younger and younger as more model years can attend.
I also get to see 200-300 friends and maybe you didn't know but I am connected with my 88 E28 M5 that was there when you were there with Chris and the others. My coupe rebuild had already started. That was 2 years ago.
My M5 was voted best M5 at the show in 2011 by the attendees.
I'm taking both this year. It will be my coupes debut and a friend is driving the M5 as it is well known in the E28 community. You know it's one of 30 US M5's with black interior and exterior.

On the flip side I get tired of some of the BS that goes on at judged events. Don't ask me how I know.
Sharfest is a premium event and Kai does a great job of organizing and running it and I just had some unforeseen problems come up last week when I was trying to finish my coupe. It seems to be snake bit with electrical issues and I had two, yes two root canals. One was masking the other and had one on Monday and another on Thursday. Good thing I didn't go.
I suggested you and Don's car for the hotel lobby but guess that didn't work out for either of you.
How about Ofest in the fall? Coming to that? Hope so.
Gary

Ohmess

I wanna DRIVE!
Site Donor $
Reaction score
Yeah, you're not the only one to say that. All of us have too but I have been to everyone except the first and I guess I just feel obligated. It's very grass roots and as I get older the crowd gets younger and younger as more model years can attend.
I also get to see 200-300 friends and maybe you didn't know but I am connected with my 88 E28 M5 that was there when you were there with Chris and the others. My coupe rebuild had already started. That was 2 years ago.
My M5 was voted best M5 at the show in 2011 by the attendees.
I'm taking both this year. It will be my coupes debut and a friend is driving the M5 as it is well known in the E28 community. You know it's one of 30 US M5's with black interior and exterior.

On the flip side I get tired of some of the BS that goes on at judged events. Don't ask me how I know.
Sharfest is a premium event and Kai does a great job of organizing and running it and I just had some unforeseen problems come up last week when I was trying to finish my coupe. It seems to be snake bit with electrical issues and I had two, yes two root canals. One was masking the other and had one on Monday and another on Thursday. Good thing I didn't go.
I suggested you and Don's car for the hotel lobby but guess that didn't work out for either of you.
How about Ofest in the fall? Coming to that? Hope so.
Gary

Gary -- Wayne and I would have had to leave at 5am and burn straight through to get there in time for Wayne's car to be in the lobby. Tom is only two hours away, so it made a lot more sense to have his car on display.

As to Vintage, I think of the Vintage as somewhat like a small restaurant I used to enjoy that added a huge addition to the bar area and massive sound system. I get it, it makes them more profitable, and I have fond memories of the place, but the experience of going there is not the same.

E9Wayne

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Yes, fully agree with Chris on the small versus large event attributes. The only thing this lacked was a formal public viewing of our cars, which is one of my favorite aspects of other events like Vintage, Legends of the Autobahn, heck most car shows in general! I'll have to suggest that to Kai and Nate but i'm sure they've already thought of this and have reasons for not doing that. And to Gary, yes, I plan to be at Ofest in October with Bluebelle again. Let's coordinate our plans!

Adkfrank

Site Donor
Reaction score
For those of you who are looking for a smaller BMW event with a chance to meet up with some wonderful cars and owners I suggest Vintage at Saratoga. The usual crowd is around 110 to 150 cars and there is no judging. vintageatsaratoga.com