Sharkfest Baby!

Ohmess

I wanna DRIVE!
Site Donor $
Reaction score
So, Kai has just announced that Sharkfest will be back in Chattanooga this year, April 28, 29, and 30. All y'all may remember last year the surprise show that the former Alaska Bush pilot's fly boy buddy put on for us at the mountaintop lunch. Not sure they can pull that off again, but who knows.

20220422_123715.jpg
20220422_123706.jpg
20220422_123601.jpg

20220422_122651.jpg

Whos' in?

CSL177

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Kewl, making plans... registered on the site, but no photos load. Suggestions from the Great Poobahs greatly appreciated.

I assume event registration is not yet live?

E9Wayne

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
So, Kai has just announced that Sharkfest will be back in Chattanooga this year, April 28, 29, and 30. All y'all may remember last year the surprise show that the former Alaska Bush pilot's fly boy buddy put on for us at the mountaintop lunch. Not sure they can pull that off again, but who knows.

View attachment 156074View attachment 156075View attachment 156076

View attachment 156073

Whos' in?
Count me in, my friend, totally excited to have a great running car again for the drive! Should we rent a house or hotel it?

bmw2800cs

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score

Ohmess

I wanna DRIVE!
Site Donor $
Reaction score
Neither. Prior owner painted the car. Best guess is that the color is a GM color called Platinum White. Here she is at the downtown river park portion of Sharkfest last year.

20220423_122126.jpg

xing6666

Reaction score
Good evening everyone!

YES - Southeast Sharkfest registration is LIVE.
Kewl, making plans... registered on the site, but no photos load. Suggestions from the Great Poobahs greatly appreciated.

I assume event registration is not yet live?

If you are having any kind of issues with registration or the website, please email me directly at [email protected] and I'll make sure the issue is repaired. If you were trying to register prior to today, it would not have worked, though. :)

Let's all agree to lobby Kai to park us in the shade this year!

Don, your request will be taken into consideration :). To be fair, I do feel like from a visibility standpoint, the e9s had the prime spots, though I REALLY was bothered by how you guys got lined up on the far side of that row - that was not my doing, but I will make sure to correct that part at least this year. The shade part I'll do my best about... I didn't want to banish anyone to the end of the line a mile away and we had that nice piece of pavement there.
Whos' in?

Chris, as always, thanks for being an advocate for our little family. Glad you had a good time last year - I sure as heck did... and that's hard to do as an organizer sometimes.

Ohmess

I wanna DRIVE!
Site Donor $
Reaction score
Hi Kai - I like the way you guys run your event and I've met a lot of great people over the years. Of course, the fact you guys gave me a steering wheel (at your auction) the first time I showed up probably helped. It doesn't fit my car, but it looks good on my garage wall.

I sent you an email - I had trouble with the link to the hotel. It said the hotel had no rooms available for the dates of your event. I called them and got a reservation, but it took them a while to find the group. You need to contact them about this.

Also, can you clarify whether parking is included in the room rate or whether we should we expect to pay for parking each day?

xing6666

Reaction score
Hi Kai - I like the way you guys run your event and I've met a lot of great people over the years. Of course, the fact you guys gave me a steering wheel (at your auction) the first time I showed up probably helped. It doesn't fit my car, but it looks good on my garage wall.

I sent you an email - I had trouble with the link to the hotel. It said the hotel had no rooms available for the dates of your event. I called them and got a reservation, but it took them a while to find the group. You need to contact them about this.

Also, can you clarify whether parking is included in the room rate or whether we should we expect to pay for parking each day?

We're on it. They were supposed to diversify the room block by adding double rooms as opposed to just king rooms, and I think they broke the reservations link in the process. Working with Marriott to get it online again and will send out an email about it.

As with last year, parking is not included because the lot does not belong to the hotel. We will, however, have our own area within the garage for parking, that will be coned off to avoid door dings from the plebs. ;)

Ohmess

I wanna DRIVE!
Site Donor $
Reaction score
We have a pretty good group coming. Andrew Wilson, e9Wayne, Doug Dolan, Don Bower, Stevehose (oh, wait)...

Just got a note from Kai - registration closes April 7.

If you booked a hotel room and haven't registered - which I have done several times in the past - you need to register before April 7 or your room reservation will be cancelled.

E9Wayne

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Hi Chris, my plans are still intact, but...this weekend I took the car out for another drive to make sure my intermittent ignition/fuel issues were gone and they were back in high glory. Don's ace tech (Chris Pederson) coming out April 16 to replace ignition switch, some fuse box related things, etc. while he also works on Jahan's engine swap on the same trip to hopefully make my problems go away for good this time. Otherwise, I will have to bail because the car is not driveable now. Thankfully, movie proceeds will more than cover all the repairs I've done since last September! Fingers crossed, everyone!

Ohmess

I wanna DRIVE!
Site Donor $
Reaction score
Hope you get your car sorted Wayne; would love to hang out again.

E9Wayne

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
ok my coupe friends, I think I'm going and here's the full story that I just posted in the "hard to diagnose" thread...

ok guys, I think we finally solved the root problem and my latest tragic experiences are chronicled in the other post - Sharkfest Baby... To recap, I had thought my car was back to normal after Chris Pederson from Don Lawrence's shop put in a new fuel pump, relay boss for the ECU and fuel pump and a new starter, along with an attempted ignition switch swap which could not be completed because the replacement switch was not working. Anyway, the car drove well for 30 minutes after Chris' work was done and so I chalked off another problem solved after much back and forth and $ spent. Then, one month later my wife and I took a longer drive up to Maryland to check out some e-bikes for my better half. 40 minute drive up was flawless and then, halfway through the drive back, the demon returned. I made it home as it wasn't that bad and only required a few restarts along the way and 10 second rounds of patience for the electrical and fuel to come back.

I rang up Don and Chris and gave them the recap and our attention returned to the ignition switch, again, the only logical piece that might be causing the issues. But Don wanted me to take another run and data log the Megasquirt findings and send it to him to see if the new ECU from last year was going bad. The 20 minute drive was a disaster, meaning lots of episodes of what felt like fuel cutting out momentarily and then the ignition cutting out entirely and requiring a restart.

I got home and was actually afraid of my car for the first time ever.

Don then gave a new approach to isolate if the ignition switch was bad by connecting the positive lead on the battery to the green wire on the coil with 14 gauge wire. I did that and it was weird to see the car systems turning on even before I turned the ignition key as the coil energies more things than the spark plugs, apparently, and bypasses some of the ignition switch stuff. I drove the car for 30 minutes - flawless. Then, another 30 minute drive a few hours later, and flawless running! So what gave me an hour or more of solid running before things went haywire? Maybe Chris swapping in the new ignition switch and putting back my old one gave it a temporary reprieve.

So Don is express shipping a new ignition switch out this Thursday and I have an appointment with my local mechanic to install Friday. Don is also sending a better made (read safer) battery to coil connecting wire with a fuse and on/off switch in case the problem is my fuse box versus the ignition switch.

So, either way I should be able to get to Sharkfest next week with my motley friends after I make damn sure the car is running well this weekend - several long drives. That means less time cleaning and polishing for competition, but getting back in action will be so great! In the immortal words of Chris Ohmes, may the car gods be with me!