Shift pattern - Brilliant!

Arde

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Shift knob decal?
Illuminated shift knob?
Decal on the console?

There is a brilliant alternative better than all these!

Any guesses? I saw it yesterday, not my idea.

JhwShark

Reaction score
Well, taking a leap:
Gen III Helmet Mounted Display System visualizing: the shift pattern with current position, engine analytics, night vision capable...any nearby targets...
OR
sticky vinyl pattern
OR

mulberryworks

Mr. Fixity
Site Donor
Reaction score
Our X3 has an always on light behind the rear view mirror that's helpful at night to see where stuff is without turning on the interior lights.

There are also aftermarket LED projectors to project your car's logo on the ground when you open the door. You could take one of those and change the image from a maker's logo to the shift pattern so that it would be projected just ahead of the shifter at all times.

Brilliant!

Arde

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Shift pattern on the back of drivers hand???

Ding, ding, ding!
That is it, I saw a guy yesterday with the shift pattern tatooed on the back of his hand! Perfect.

The corollary question is what to do to your hand when you do the 5-speed conversion? Sharpie?

Stevehose

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
or drive in the UK?

Ding, ding, ding!
That is it, I saw a guy yesterday with the shift pattern tatooed on the back of his hand! Perfect.

The corollary question is what to do to your hand when you do the 5-speed conversion? Sharpie?

Gazz

Site Donor
Reaction score
Well that's something to do with your hand I suppose.
Prediction - If someone comes up with a way to easily, safely and cheaply remove tattoos then tattoos will be everywhere, and they will be far stupider than this. One day your Aunt will turn up with Jim Morrison tattooed on her forehead just so she can see the two of them together in the mirror.

Ives

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Arde,

The tattoo reminds you of the pattern but in real time it will not tell you what gear you are actually in. The gated shifters that are in manual tranny Ferraris solves that problem perfectly. You always know, by looking, what gear you are in and which direction you need to go to change gears. Maybe we could clone a gated shifter on to a Coupe for those that forgot what gear they were in, where they were going and how fast they wanted to get there!

Regards, Jon

dang

Administrator
Site Donor
Reaction score
I don't think any of my three-pedal cars have a shift pattern anywhere.

Bmachine

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Joke aside, does anyone really need to know the number of the gear they're in?

After a couple of days of learning to drive a manual transmission you instinctively feel and hear if you are in the right gear or not. And if you are really pushing the limits, the tach is the only thing that really matters. The actual gear number means little.

Last edited:

Arde

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I bet one could do an iphone app to show what gear you are in, it has the GPS speed and it can hear the engine revs through the microphone.
A week-end project probably. Another of my brilliant ideas like the shaving machine with GPS I have been advocating...

But the power of the tattoo is that you wear the pride of ownership wherever you go!

Arde,

The tattoo reminds you of the pattern but in real time it will not tell you what gear you are actually in. The gated shifters that are in manual tranny Ferraris solves that problem perfectly. You always know, by looking, what gear you are in and which direction you need to go to change gears. Maybe we could clone a gated shifter on to a Coupe for those that forgot what gear they were in, where they were going and how fast they wanted to get there!

Regards, Jon

taylor2800

Reaction score
A line of nice leather driving gloves with the shift pattern printed on it would be all you would need. Group buy anyone?

adawil2002

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Took my 2007 X3 almost to redline in second gear, I was doing 60! I have 8 shift patterns etched in my mind.

Peter Coomaraswamy

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
OK, so this little conversation should put an end to the thought anyone may have of tattooing their wedding ring on their finger!

Gazz

Site Donor
Reaction score
Here's a practical use for a tattoo - a tattooed flesh coloured band to disguise the obvious pale band when a wedding ring is taken off. Though why anyone would want to do that is beyond my humble imagination.