Shift surround is just too small

David

Site Donor
Reaction score
When I put the car into reverse, it's obvious that the opening surrounding the gear shift is too small. The sides of the center console actually move to the left, enough so that the mounting screws for the shift surround have split the wood mounting blocks.

I was thinking about using a Dremel to open the shift surround a bit wider, but would a short shift kit do a better job ?

Sven

Site Donor $
Reaction score
short shift it

Yes, a short shift kit will reduce the fore/aft and side to side travel, so should help. Usually it is just the 5 spd conversions that have this problem.

alanmcg

Reaction score
or dremel

if you dont want the short-sift-kit, widening the wood surround with dremel tool works too - that is what i did.

David

Site Donor
Reaction score
What transmission do you have? I had this problem with my 280 but it disappeared with the 265CR.

Thanks for the help.

It's 265, 5sd OD.

I think Ill take a Dremel to it first before I mess with a shortshift. But something tells me Ill need both.

Thanks again.

rb1971

Reaction score
You might want to measure before using the dremel - I had to repair my console after trying this approach since the issue was actually that reverse was "inside" the chrome ring. Although a 265OD might be a lot closer than a 280.

Bert Poliakoff

Site Donor
Reaction score
There are 4 or 5 shift levers available for a Z3. Each one has a different length fulcrum . The E24 guys use these for short shifters and can be bought at the stealer for about $55. I took my original shift lever and cut it on top of the "ball" and used a 5/8 spacer that I made and had tig welded together. I came up with 5/8" as it was kind of in the middle of how the Z3 shifters measured out. I also didn't want too short of a throw as it will start taking a lot of effort. Also, if you go with too long a fulcrum, there is a possibility of it hitting the guibo

jmackro

Reaction score
I had this problem after doing a 5 speed conversion. My problem wasn't that the opening was too small - it was that the lever wasn't centered. It would hit the front of the opening in 1, 3, 5th. Shortening the rod that conncts the bottom of the lever to the gearbox shifted the lever more rearward, and solved the problem.

I would be hesitant to cut the hole larger - you will get into problems with the boot not fitting, and the console just not looking "right".

bert35csi

Site Donor
Reaction score
Yeah, this is a classic problems with modified 5 speed coupes (my surround console included). Shifting into reverse and 5 gear will tend to scrape and tear the leather boot in no time. Coupeking offered a modified custom surround (new construction) with a bigger hole that looked factory for like $300 a while back, but I don't see it on their new website. Must have gotten "lost" during the migration from old site to the current one. I would suggest calling them about their current availability.

David

Site Donor
Reaction score
Mesa Performance tells me the shifter from a E36 M3 will drop right in and reduce the throw by 30%. Has anybody gone this route ?? Price is about $70.

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
i have a newer short shifter in my car - not sure which one. i have a bmw zhp motorsports knob. fits the coupe interior ... especially w/ a petri.

you can get it with either a 5 speed or 6 speed insert

Attachments

• shift knob.jpg
    shift knob.jpg
    71.3 KB · Views: 128
  • shiftknob2.jpg
    shiftknob2.jpg
    47.2 KB · Views: 113

David

Site Donor
Reaction score
Well, I put the shifter from an E36 in today. While it helped, the shifter still hits the surround going into reverse. It's not nearly as bad, but it still bumps it.

Anybody know of any other tricks ?

Also, the E36 shifter is fatter so coupeguys nice leather shifter boots dont zip up all they way.

David

Site Donor
Reaction score
Spoke with Carl and he said to check the knuckle on the transmission end of the shift linkage. Sure enough it's worn creating lots of lateral slop in the shifter. Jim and Spence at Mesa made sure I had the right replacement parts, but I dont see how in the heck you can replace it without dropping the drive shaft. So much for a simple little week night job.