Should I or shouldn't I change the paint color from black to ?

scottevest

Site Donor
Reaction score
I'm pretty sure I decided to leave the car black. It just occurs to me that with the black and the chrome it will be really elegant as it is now and really clean assuming I keep it clean. The deciding factor for me was the fact that the tires are also black I will keep the car looking monochromatic. I I have owned several black cars in my life and was hoping to get a different color as well if you're so hard to take care of and I won't have that many more cars in my lifetime in my opinion as I like to keep them for a while and hope to have a more colorful one but I agree that in five years I might not be as happy with my choice. Thank you for indulging me in on this conversation

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

scottd

Reaction score
I agree black is beautiful on a coupe. That being said, I really believe the metallic colors look perhaps the best, as THEY really make the chrome bits pop. Although I'd almost never think of purchasing a brown car, I agree with "It's an e9; they don't do ugly in any color..." stated below, and the brown cars you posted are gorgeous.

Paint it the color you want.

Scott

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
The only thing about darker colors ( specially Black ) scratch, waves are a lot more obvious and makes the car look not as shinny
what becomes important with black cars is to fill / glaze the paint to reduce the visual distractions ... keep it clean and well waxed (with a non-hazing wax) there is no coupe color that is more dependent on the shiny jewelry than black. i have used 3m imperial hand glaze - it really hides swirl marks + faint scratches. it is great to use before waxing

shanon

Reaction score
As owner of a 'half black' E9, I have been happy with the choice ever since i literally pulled the paint gun's trigger.
It's both elegant and sinister, which is fun in a schizophrenic way.

Paint 'your' the way that will put the biggest smile on your face every time you look at it. That's priceless to me.

mark99

Site Donor
Reaction score
FYI, You might be able to paint the engine compartment with out pulling the engine
My brother had the engine compartment of his 2000CS painted and it is 'perfect', but the 4 cylinder seems to have more room around the engine

scottevest

Site Donor
Reaction score
FYI, You might be able to paint the engine compartment with out pulling the engine
My brother had the engine compartment of his 2000CS painted and it is 'perfect', but the 4 cylinder seems to have more room around the engine

I thought about that. The interior is already black in the engine bay. It had been repainted a different color many years ago. Do you think it is worth it to remove the engine and paint over it again or just clean it really well?

scottevest

Site Donor
Reaction score
I assume the paint guy is removing the belt trim, if you can wait several months before reinstalling and do not overtighten the nuts, the paint can wrinkle.

Not really sure what this means either but I will let him know this

mark99

Site Donor
Reaction score
the original nuts for the belt trim have a rubber insert so they apply tension without too much force
I think those are the original type, WN has or had them
Karl Nelson has plastic nuts

mark99

Site Donor
Reaction score
on repainting the engine compartment vs. cleaning: that is always the issue, where to stop? One thing leads to another
Start with cleaning and see

Koopman

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Hi years ago I mentioned in a thread that I had bought plastic nuts and bolts for the belt line trim. I bought flat head bolts and using a grinding wheel
Squared off two edges,opposite of each other making it so it would slide into the belt trim back as d the metal ones. It was easy to install not being afraid of scratching the paint. Try it for yourself.
Koopman.

teahead

aka "Rob"
Site Donor $
Reaction score
_bmw-e9-4.jpg
Once you go black...

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Scott,

let me help you with this a little bit. first, use the 'T' bolts that are made for the belt trim ... they fit into the groove on the back side of the belt trim and slide so you can align them with the holes in the body. there are 47 if i remember correctly. The T bolts have thin heads that are narrowed to fit into the groove

second, if you have recently painted the car, before you have the belt trim installed, wait as long as you can up to a month. too much pressure on the paint will cause it to ripple around the belt trim which will damage your fresh paint.

third, get the belt trim shims from Carl Nelson - these shims hold the belt trim off of the paint slightly. you put them on the 'T' bolt just before you install it on the car.

fourth, use new rubber backed nuts to install the belt trim - they mount within the body cavity on the other side of the sheet metal. the rubber fits between the body and the nut and will seal the holes to keep water from infiltrating the interior thru the holes that the 'T' bolts go thru. when tightening the rubber backed nuts, tighten them to hand tight, not much more ... this is what can cause your paint to ripple. you don't want them too loose or they can vibrate off ... you want to flatten the rubber slightly.

the T bolt is part number - 51135780108 + getbmwparts lists them for 3.30 each. the nuts listed on realoem are [URL='http://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/part?id=3435-USA-03-1972-E9-BMW-30CS&mg=51&sg=20&diagId=51_3429&q=51135780115']51135780115, and they are listed on getbmwparts for .65 each, which seems a bit inexpensive for a rubber backed nut. that is also the parts numbers listed in the orange books.[/URL]

you can buy a set of everything you need from W+N for 122 euro
https://www.wallothnesch.com/en/set-of-trim-line-fasteners-with-nuts.html

51131400027_1.jpg

51131400027_2.jpg