Show your...Steering wheel(s)

kwyjibo

Site Donor
Reaction score
Most of my steering wheels are packed away because of my ongoing garage renovation/expansion, but I thought this steering wheel hanger might be of interest to someone.

I've been generating a lot of wood puck waste from various hole saw uses (wall sconces, dryer vents, etc) that I thought could be put to good use rather than tossed out in the trash. So... I "hollowed" them out using a smaller hole saw to make a wooden doughnut. The hollowed section leaves space for the horn button when the wheel is mounted. This was then glued to a 1/4" plywood disk and painted. A small section of aluminum french cleat is mounted on the backside of the ply. Lastly, mounting holes were drilled onto the opposite face. A couple of in-progress mounts are shown in the first photo. I used aluminum C-section (turned up, so it's actually a U-section) as upper trim for a wall which acts as the lower half of the french cleat. The second photo shows a test batch of three wheels hanging. If the C-section doesn't work for you, mount another cleat on the wall and hang the wheel like you would framed art.

I'm still working on the garage so I haven't had a chance to unpack and hang the other wheels. But as soon as I finish, I'll post a photo. It could be a while though....

Attachments

Markos

Administrator
Staff member
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
To be continued...

82F176EC-67C0-4DB2-8DC5-C772FDCD7939.jpeg

Needs some TLC. This is a rare wheel...

55F1475B-07FB-465A-9461-35A1BC54DA58.jpeg

Last edited:

Wladek

Reaction score
Petri 38 came back from re-chroming on Wednesday, grip is glued in, so here are the pics:
20180713_200329.jpg
20180713_200333.jpg

Surface is perfect, i think it's even too perfect for me...
Today i was thinking - "i have perfect 38... do i need concave 40?... maybe to sell it?"
& after looking at it mounted on steering column (i know it's pretty weird mounted on chair, but i used my imagination at that moment) - i said "no way!"
Look like it is perfect lined up with stalks
20180713_195204.jpg
20180713_195342.jpg

Wladek

Reaction score
Surface is infact gorgeous. Dressed up, it will look spectacular.
Yes, now it's definitely need leather.
On attached photo's it's not visible, but in live it have strap after glue that must be hidden.

Keshav

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Nice to see you back Andi..... that’s one hell’ve stereo! Kind of like the mini stereo decks way back then!