side grilles

OZCSi

Reaction score
I finally decided to remove my side grilles.........holy smoke I wished I hadnt touched them.

They are oddly affixed and most likely not an original fitting technique.

They are fixed with 2small screws per side that must have a nut or similar on the inside of the panel. I will try chasing the bolt out and just (annoyingly) let the nut fall into void. Can anyone tell me if they have seen this before. The panel has three holes for each vertical upright pieces and a metal gasket type thing along the vertical lines of the slats. I had always thought they were push on until today when I had a close look.

Question........how do you get to that area behind the guard? And has anyone got similar fitment stories?
The grilles are plastic and I am in trouble......

Cheers

Arde

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Last edited:

OZCSi

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply, I am simply going to get some new ones, can you tell me where you got yours from as there seems to be a few suppliers.....and big differences in prices.

Again , I appreciated your reply and the metallic posts, screw situation is what I have which is different to what most people seem to have.

Best WIshes

Arde

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
OK, here is the entire scoop. I picked the grills up at La Jolla Independent, just because when I visit my son at UCSD I need to bring something back for the car. I did not check or compare prices. There are three types of finish, black, silver matte, and silver shiny, so make sure you order the right part number.

To install them you lay on your back next to the car with one hand on either side of the fender. One side was easy on all four posts, the other side has the antenna motor, making one post really hard to reach. A Houdini act of sorts. I put a bit of glue on the cap to make sure they don't want to come off.

You mention three holes on the fender? Should be four.

OZCSi

Reaction score
Thanks for replies.

There is three holes for each vertical (6 per side) and the current attachment used a screw thru the center one.

It had the metal gasket which only had a center hole.

Just more info and I will get to La Jolla soon.

Cheers

Arde

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
OK, I recall 4 posts but I forget if there were 6 holes, possible.
If you have trouble getting the part shipped to OZ I can get it and put in the mail.

I think La Jolla also had matte, seems like grills were hard to come by and maybe BMW MT started making them again.

blumax

(deceased)
Reaction score
Side Grills on R/L fenders/wings

Origiinal fitment was 4 plastic posts through 4 holes on each R/L fender/wing side-held in place by spring steel clip type fastener that would almost assure destroying the posts if removal attempted. Have seen numerous methods for re-attachment--many are very crude.
Arde has made an excellent and very practical suggestion that would permit future removal without post breakage:

have also used black flex sealant used for WS installation--or slip on similar flexible black vinyl like tips used to cover raw ends of metal screws or short sections of flexible rubber hose or blue silicon tubing used for vacuum and WS water line. All will work and will hold nicely without damage to these pricey bits of trim.

PS--don't forget the black vinyl piece on each side that lays in the inset of the fender/wing as backing for your grill(s) That too is a factory original cosmetic touch.

OZCSi

Reaction score
Gentlemen

I thank you for your help and assistance, I will now and with much anxiety attempt to remove the other side by force.

Again I appreciate the help and detailed advice, I will post pics on this topic when I get the mountain of work in front of me at my office completed. I really struggle to get these parts here

Best Wishes

Andrew

glenn in encinitas

Site Donor
Reaction score
When you get new ones, the best way to insure they are removable without damage is the vacuum hose trick. Simply place the grilles and use an inch or so of vacuum hose over the posts, inside the fender, to hold them in place. They will withstand all vibration, etc., yet still be removable if needed without damaging the grilles.

Honolulu

Reaction score
heh hed

I'll go Glenn one better and suggest that a single piece of vacuum tubing be used between pairs of posts.

Back to you Glenn!

Arde

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I will see the single vacuum tubing and raise you a vacuum tube connecting the grille post to a vacuum circuit. Holds the post harder when the car is moving of course...