Side Markers - Delete?

Stan

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Greetings!
I continue to remove parts from the body of my coupe and have come to the side markers.
http://i260.photobucket.com/albums/ii6/ClassicCoupe/DSCN3222.jpg
The front side markers next to the turn signals have been deleted as they looked redundant to me. Now I have the opportunity to close off the holes in the rear for a complete Euro look. I am looking for opinions. Do delete or not to delete, that is the question (with apologies to "the Bard")

Next, there appears to be a plastic connector that does not want to disconnect, if I delete I can simply cut the wire and be done with it. If I wish to keep, then how is it disconnected?

Many years of ownership and still learning...

Stan

Stevehose

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I vote for delete! They attach at the harness, not at the light:

IMG-20110403-00213.jpg

End result - clean lines:

CIMG1933.JPG

Side.jpg

Last edited:

bert35csi

Site Donor
Reaction score
Personally, I would keep the rear lighted reflectors and delete the front reflectors. It pays to be SEEN at night! Also, there is a certain symmetry to the front directional light assemblies and the rear lighted refectors.

CSteve

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Delete! I forgot when the car was painted. Body guy says between $400 and $500.
to do it now. Kicker.

Who needs a radio when you have that sweet-sounding turbine-like six breathing through a custom exhaust. That's all the music I need.

Steve

jmackro

Reaction score
I too vote to delete. Took the front reflectors off my coupe when I had it painted back in '95, and then did the rears when I did major body and paint 13 years later. Dunno what I'll remove next time 'round!

Actually, with the way that e9 tail lights wrap around the sides of the body, you do get some illumination from the side. Also, all pre 1965 (or so) cars had no sidelights or reflectors - people somehow survived back then.

How would you get radio reception without an antenna??

I bought a thingy from Crutchfield for $30 that provides radio reception without a mast - I stuck it on the inside of my rear window (where the third brake light goes on a modern car), but you can mount them on either the front or rear windshields. See: http://www.crutchfield.com/p_12044UA20/Universal-Antenna.html?tp=3449
It works sorta OK.

h12044UA20-fp.jpg

Last edited:

bimmerboy73

Reaction score
Deleting side markers was one of best things I did, next to mounting the Alpinas of course.

First, my vote would be to delete at least the front. I think i agree with whoever mentioned that the rears dont look all that out of place and add a nice symmetry. I'm trying to make the decision myself. For sure the fronts are going...

When performing the delete, is the hole small enough to span with a screen and filler or should one anticipate welding in a small piece of metal to fill the hole?

Dave L

Reaction score
Delete?

Yea, I vote them off the island as well! I only had them in the rear and I took them out. I also took out the radio antenna hole in the front driver side fender as well. I have intended to move the antenna to the rear, but I have not been able to bring myself to drill a hole in that beautiful metal. I have also used the "mast-less" antenna that sticks to the inside fo a window. I have mine on the upper corner of the windshield, but may move it to a more hidden location. They work really well.

Dave L

ElRey

Site Donor
Reaction score
Dave et al,
I installed a powered antenna in the seat belt warning light box on the dash. Reception isn't great but, heck I'm listening to my iPod 95% of the time. One of these days I'll do a post and show how easy it is to do.
-Kingman

Stevehose

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Cool concept - please post.

Dave et al,
I installed a powered antenna in the seat belt warning light box on the dash. Reception isn't great but, heck I'm listening to my iPod 95% of the time. One of these days I'll do a post and show how easy it is to do.
-Kingman