Since you've all been so helpful

jranmann

Banned
Reaction score
I went through and organized my e9 images files last night using my film editing system and then stayed up and made a short film using the images of the 25 or so individual cars you see here, some of which I do know who they belong to...(the film is more of a fancy moving slide show) and some I do not, but wish i did!

I did this so that you all could, on the one hand, recieve a free internet copy of the film when it's ready for distribution and as a thank you for helping me get up to speed on my own e9 project ...0n the other hand and the more pressing bit is that I thought this format you see would perhaps be an ideal 'template' for the 'new and improved' e9 Coupe Registry that we all want and need, and have been discussing, but not doing much about.

Computer data bases and similar spreadsheet methods are fully compatible with this, as i've already over-engineered the thing to a fine degree. (that's me!) The bonus here is that the pictures never are able to get separated from the written information about the owner, his car, etc. Think of these 'tiles' as small cards with information (our Registry) on the back. Additionally, as I said there's a computer file that's generated at the same time I compile all the visuals which I am sure will be at the same time useful for in-house club mailing purposes of the upper management here. These 'tiles' are ALSO referenced to the whole body of owners in our growing data base but they will also serve a double purpose here and that is to assist those that are older and like me was a bit computer challenged at first... and so they along with everyone can contribute to the effort of collecting the information that will be distributed as out Registry...and they can enjoy the visual reference that this method also provides.

Lastly, and I mean this from the heart...most of you folks on the e9 forum here are all fantastic and also just happen to be perhaps some of the most adept and at the same time knowlegebly helpful to folks like myself ... more helpful in fact than any group i've run across in quite awhile...What I fail to understand is how you all do it without actually showing up here on the board unless you are posting
invisibly and are really for the most part shut-in's with lunch and dinner delivery from your own particular senior aid group or Chamber of Commerce where you live..! (just teasing but you all sure are quiet!)

Not to make any enemies by stating the obvious truth here but since there does seem to be somewhat of a resurgence of interest by outsiders both in these original Coupes, and in restoring them... I think we might also be able to assist them and ourselves by selling them copies of the Registry (on CD or DVD) for a nominal charge that in turn 'rows our boat' as selling T-shirts and the like very often is just a labor of love and not too great of a funds generator...and we probably 'eat' the profit at various events in the form of hamburgers and hot dogs..>! so a least a few copies of this video if you can move it into the right hands, and management agrees perhaps the funds that are collected will be able to help with other on-going club efforts. The best part is that we do this on our own without anyone, including the 'Roundel' folk we have been lambasting for a week or two who also don't know a 2002 from a 2899CS just becase they both happen to be rusty and painted Sienna Beige...means that they wont be able to say anything except ... "WHERE CAN I GET MY COPY" (and WHY ISN't MY VIDEO COPY FREE TO ME or perhaps me witness what I've been waiting to hear from them for years..which is:
"We shouldda thought of this!"..!

Of course I will donate not only my time to these efforts as much as I am able but also any profit generated by the sale of the video here to new members and collectors more on the periphery of active participation might also have a change of heart and perhaps join out group....Lastly of course your friends and family will want to watch this sort of video too, as I do know they often wonder, just like mine do as to just "what the heck you do in the garage all evening and let the supper get cold!" Most of all, putting this out there when and if i do clear this with 'management' here it will be my pleasure to express my belief that is perhaps this might just be the impetus we needed to get us all off our collective duffs and have some well funded BMW fun again!...Finally, it just seemed to be the best way for me to give back something that potentially might be of use and value to everyone here... and I simply thought that iMHO you all deserve some real recognition (and end title credit movie) Oh and of course it won't hurt if the increased interest in our site will also in turn help make this somewhat (how do I say this?) I suppose lonely is the fitting name for this forum a I would hope that for one you are still among the living and perhaps interested in having this group become more lively and the forum become a more productiove place in the future!

SO, with that said, I need to get to sleep! If you ARE able, please if you would help me to identify the 20- 25 e9 owners that have their their good name and BMW vehicles up in lights, which may actually be a shock to some sleeping down the hall, but that's the cost for progress and we can just add it to the future cost of preservation, etc. These folks might be tickled to receive an advance copy and then there will be more copies made available to all the other interested parities at that time...

btw: you all have very nice Coupes but as you may also know, in filmmaking as in life up here on the mountaintop the editing room floor certainly gets littered with all the outtakes, etc (Images in this case) So I couldn't use the space I already have filled up for the foundaion repair going on here and now...or for one creative reason or another...

In summary: This 5 minute film is very clean, simple and I said, is easy to watch and comprised of many images culled from my collection of over 1800 individual files. The one common thread is the early BMW Coupe (I also own an e24 and also post on the bimmer six pages... So if you find that I couldn't use images of your particular Coupe that's likely because there are so few of them around (lost) I plan to do this again soon and when we do i'm sure in the future yours will be well represented herein as well...!

Cheers!

Ran

Picture1-7.png

Picture2-3.png

Picture3-2.png

Last edited:

runner

Reaction score
As a very new member, I am more than impressed. But, even in my short time here on the E9 forum, I have almost immediately thought it was a bit (maybe a league) above the other car forums I have been on or am on. Not putting them down, but what stands out to me is the obvious unselfishness of the members to help others, the huge knowledge (hopefully someday I can contribute something here) of E9s and others, and the lack of bickering and put downs that unfortunately seem rampart on almost all the forums/blogs and frankly cause me to leave them alone. This is one classy board and many thanks also for what you personally are doing!:-D

jranmann

Banned
Reaction score
I realize that we are all getting older and that perhaps mynote/posting up above is rather long but it's also there to assist in reaching out to others with the same passions to preserve what may soon be lost, if it's not already lost aready?

If just a few here can recognize at least one other's motor above, (help with the identity of the owners of those particular CS cars) ... then I can make copies OR send the mpeg4 file email... for anyone that wishes one by burning a few CD's and it can also be viewed whilst visiting my website. It's good practice though to make sure the vehicle involved is made aware and can opt out if he/she chooses ... If anyone the curious type and wishes to see the copy on my website (which is a low-resolution Rough cut) (.flv requires Flash Player) go here but take nothing away please...

http://s254.photobucket.com/albums/hh93/JRanmann/?action=view&current=AutumnCoupeColor.flv

Just lacking proper end-titles,etc.

I do hope we can get that finished and any Registry issue resolved quickly so as to move on to more substantial yet necessary integration so that it's easy for someone to create a new tile and not a master document one would carry around in paper form.

So, agin' thanks for the 'Thanks' 'n' vote of confidence Atan... Since editing is my chosen profession it's not a real big deal and sorta fun actually... from what I hear about getting all the facts gathered though; short of you all moving here to California for a lengthty stay it may be requisite for some of us to become modern day Sherlocks...given CA DMV funding status (our state is run by an actor... again!) I suppose I won't expect assistance from them and just do it myself.

Lastly it's a good thing that many CS Coupes make their last stands out here against the rust and sulphur FeSo4 so that we don't have to climb hill and dale all over this land re-creating the wheel...

Cheers!

(tired)

Ran

Last edited:

CSteve

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Ran, thank you! I would love to see more of the ragtop. I saw some pics years ago. Not the same car. So there must be at least two around.

I believe, based on the New Jersey plate "30CS" that the car located on the third(last) panel in the middle row, second from the left is or was George Washburn's. I met George at New Hope and Buckingham car shows and bought some 15" rims and small parts from him when he sold his coupe last year. I don't know who it went to.

George, if you are out there, Hi!

Steve ONeill

jranmann

Banned
Reaction score
That one is sure a beauty isn't it? Somewhere I have the entire pic set from when it sold last...so many CS's so little time! We can attempt to contact George now that we have his last name...thank you!

Cheers!

shanon

Reaction score
nice and thanks for sharing!

my two favorite pics are:
-the last one of course (my 'inspiration' car)
-the shot of the 'bavarain cream puffs' enjoying something a bit larger than a pint....I guess that was tossed in for local color...?!

;-)
-shanon

jranmann

Banned
Reaction score
my two favorite pics are:
-the last one of course (my 'inspiration' car)

Do you mean this (Alpina) green car below or the last row last car above or?

Picture6-1.png

-the shot of the 'bavarain cream puffs' enjoying something a bit larger than a pint...I guess that was tossed in for local color...?"

2) It's more like a 2 litre isn't it? (lol!) and as to the girls I'm glad someone noticed the splash of 'local color' as perhaps contrast amidst all those overly gorgeous cars... I say that but in reality, and just as with your 'inspiration car', this particular German girl (da one closest to da camera) is, err... how shall I say... my own 'inspiration' as well?

:mrgreen:

Thank you too for sharing...
btw your B/booster measurements have arrived.