Slave Labor

Ohmess

I wanna DRIVE!
Site Donor $
Reaction score
So, my neighbor works for VW/Audi and used to race motorcycles and I see his 13 year old son tooling around the neighborhood on a minibike once in a while. This got me thinking that perhaps I could entice the young lad to assist me with my car work, in exchange for the opportunity to bask in my vast reservoir of car knowledge and a couple of bucks.

When I communicated my brilliant idea to my wife, she responds with "What if the kid gets hurt and they sue us."

Do I really need to hire a lawyer to do this? Do I have to pay minimum wage? Benefits? Does the WWII pinup calendar create a hostile work environment? Does ObamaCare apply? Do I have to tell him he's doing well when he installs only four of six required bolts?

Damn.

jmackro

Reaction score
Can you document that you have evaluated all of the transgender, handicapped, and minority kids in your neighborhood for this position? If not, then I think that you are already in trouble.

Last edited:

Arde

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Pay social security benefits if you ever plan to run for President or the Supreme Court.

You do not need to hire a lawyer, just hire another youngster that wants to study law.

Put your house in a trust and get an umbrella policy.

I was going to add another item but it may be offensive says the law student youngster.

craterface

Site Donor
Reaction score
Ugh

Sadly, her concern is legitimate.
If you have any money at all, get the parents to sign a release, so you know he has their permission and accept rick for any injury. Doesn't cover you 100 percent, but it helps a little.
Get an umbrella policy and put all your assets in trusts.
Make him wear eye protection.

Totally sucks that the world has come to this, but it has.

I am a bleeding heart liberal in most areas, but the US needs tort reform ASAP.

Scott

Ohmess

I wanna DRIVE!
Site Donor $
Reaction score
Can you document that you have evaluated all of the transgender, handicapped, and minority kids in your neighborhood for this position? If not, then I think that you are already in trouble.

Yeah, I have probably already committed a thought crime.

Stan

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
This is why the schools in US are closing play grounds for children. Might get injured.... And we wonder why obesity is on the rise in children.
I hope the child's parents see the value of interest in anything other than electronic games.

JFENG

Site Donor
Reaction score
This is why the schools in US are closing play grounds for children. Might get injured.... And we wonder why obesity is on the rise in children.
I hope the child's parents see the value of interest in anything other than electronic games.

Obesity: when I was a kid (before we had electricity) we ate breakfast, went to school, had lunch, played outisde for 3-5pm, went home and had dinner at 6pm, and in bed by 9pm.
My kids now have two snack times at school at 9am and 1:30pm. Plus my wife gives them an after school snack at 3:30, then dinner at 6:30. That's three added feedings compared to the old days.

That's another reason they're fat.

kasbatts

Site Donor
Reaction score
Wow, you guys have it bad in the US with all your sueing, I think I would be worried to do anything!
Makes me thankful for the NZ system, we can't sue for anything here, if you get injured doing anything (general mishaps around the home, sport injuries, car accidents, work accidents, anything) we have a government agency (ACC "accident compensation corporation") that pay you out until you can get back to work, pays for all doctors, and hospitals etc. don't get me wrong, it's not perfect, but at least we can get on with doing stuff and not having to worry about liability and who the next guy is that's going to have a crack at you for money!