Fuel lines connected: check
Linkage connected: check
Coolant filled, hose bleed completed: check
Check for coolant leaks: none
Check for fuel leaks: none
Battery voltage measurement: 12.81 volts
Fuel tank: half full
Weather: 55 degrees and sunny

Time to see if this whole deal works. So, I turn on the key 2x for sequential 3 second fuel pump runs to get some fuel into the system, I pump the accelerator and engage the starter. Say, that second hand starter cranks over much faster than the old one. Ten seconds, still cranking. Fifteen, twenty. Better pause for a bit. Crank again. Starter spins nicely, but still no kick. Third try: ZZZZZZZZZZZZ. Uh, that is the sound a solenoid makes when it ain't planning to work any more.

And I'm thinking to myself, I prayed to the Car Gods for Annabelle and for help with her care and restoration. And the Car Gods answered, sending Stevehose to forewarn me of future starter problems:

http://www.e9coupe.com/forum/showthread.php?p=158678#post158678

But did I listen? No. Thought I was pretty smart cleaning and testing a second hand starter. I probably saved $150. So, instead of driving Annabelle around on this weekend, I'll be trying to figure out if I can remove that big honking starter without taking off the carbs and manifold. Oh, and its going to be sunny and beautiful and warm.

Stevehose

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Oh no I jinxed you, sorry :|

Not sure you will be able to get it out without removing the manifold. But you can try taking the manifold and carbs off in one assembly, that's what I do.

Oh and I will send your gaskets this weekend.

Ohmess

I wanna DRIVE!
Site Donor $
Reaction score
Yup, leaving carbs attached to the manifolds was the best way to do it.

Waiting on the new starter (and not very patiently, I may add). Oh, and the weather is even nicer here today.

Gary Knox

E9 Member Emeritus
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Chris,

I FEEL your pain - can't drive Lorelei this weekend, but for a different reason!

Did drive Sophie - the Stuttgart siren - yesterday to Hershey for the big east coast Porsche Swap Meet (just to hang out with old friends for a few hours), and will let her top hide in the trunk while we go out to dinner tonight. Not the same as Lorelei, however!

CSteve

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Please excuse this English teacher. Two months ago my first grand child was born. I was smitten. And I told everyone who would listen and some who wouldn't. So when I saw the title of your post I thought, no, he was smote. A wonderful biblical term. But I thought I better check my Oxford, and lo and behold one can be seriously smitten in a negative way too. And you certainly were.

Steve

Ohmess

I wanna DRIVE!
Site Donor $
Reaction score
Please excuse this English teacher. Two months ago my first grand child was born. I was smitten. And I told everyone who would listen and some who wouldn't. So when I saw the title of your post I thought, no, he was smote. A wonderful biblical term. But I thought I better check my Oxford, and lo and behold one can be seriously smitten in a negative way too. And you certainly were.

Steve

Yes, its a rather cool term with both positive and negative connotations.