Smog question?

tmason

Reaction score
I need to get my cars smog and have a couple of question.I have dual webbers and car has a slight miss at 2500 rpm and smells like it is running a little rich.I know plugs were replaced 4000 miles ago but I'm going pull,clean and gap and also clean and check points. Car runs good at idle and temperature 1/3 up on gauge. I know what temperature?Car doesn't smell hot and heard that running hotter for smog checks is best. Thanks for any thoughts is advance. Tim

jmackro

Reaction score
Jeez, do e9's need to be smogged in Nevada? The lore among owners of post-'76 cars here in California is to register them in Nevada to avoid the biannual inspection - guess that won't work!

I have dual webbers and car has a slight miss at 2500 rpm and smells like it is running a little rich

So, what sort of "Webbbbbers" do you have on your coupe? 32/36's or 38/38's? What displacement engine? You're not giving us a lot to work with here. If they smell rich, then smog will probably be a problem. If you are running the 38's, you might try substituting the smaller 32/36 carbs, or at least screwing in the idle jets.

Last edited:

steve in reno

Reaction score
Tim
I got NV antique plates for mine and no more smog tests. Then you can tune it for better mileage and performance.
Only caveat is having to go to DMV for the mileage check, which is only done once. Then every year you send in a statement with your mileage to certify you only put on <2500 miles.
I personally don't put that miles on my E9 a year, but I do hedge my bets and up the non-real miles so that if I want to go on a long trip it won't put me over the top.
reno

steve in reno

Reaction score
I always list miles driven higher for the form, then it gives me a buffer for longer trips in the future.
I think I am about 4 k ahead now.
reno

tmason

Reaction score
Thanks Steve,
That what I'm going to do but I was told you have to have a smog certificate and then have the inspected for mileage and if the odometer works to get the classic plates?

steve in reno

Reaction score
Tim
You will have to have it smogged once more. That starts you at O base. Then get the mileage check at DMV.
Or at least that is what I had to do.
You can get the paper work on line.
It doesn't get cheaper, but is easier!!
reno

tmason

Reaction score
That's what I thought.Have you used Bob's in Sparks for any work?I used Sportiff for my tii because the guy knew that system but they are pricey.

steve in reno

Reaction score
Tim
I used Bavarian Motors on grove, by costco.
Has new owner. Call Jeff, the service manager. 825-6511.
hth
Never heard of BOB's
But check with dmv for real info. I have been known to be wrong on numerous occasions
reno

tmason

Reaction score
Thanks Steve, I have used that shop years ago with the old owner and wasn't to happy with how they billed me but I will go by and talk to them.Tim

coupe2800cs

Reaction score
Smog In RENO E9?

Should be exempt, some counties are 12 years, and older exempt, the last car I had up there was in Douglas County, my 78 Ford Fiesta with a Dave Cruz highly worked over head after I had gotten to it with the die grinder for a few hours, 8000rpm engine no problem...