so who does excellent leather covered steering wheels?

coupeguy

Site Donor
Reaction score
This is a pic from the Dallas website of a VW Petri, the stitching is all wrong, at the spokes it should wrap around and be stitched along the back, not along the sides. I asked them if they could do it like the BMW but have not recd a reply, kind of looks like from their website all their wheels are stitched along the sides of the spoke interface. Makes it a good deal easier to do I believe, but the price doesn't really reflect that type of shortcut, rather high IMO. They did do the ends right, should be a raw leather edge, not folded under as on the Porsche wheel shown earlier.

76VWScriccoroWithThickPadding_Front.jpg

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
They did do the ends right, should be a raw leather edge, not folded under as on the Porsche wheel shown earlier.

That is what I am talking about. It is difficult for me to describe but that Petri looks doughy. By comparison, here is a wheel that I had restored. Other than the stitch work, the technique on the spoke wraps and the quality of the leather really stand out above anything I have seen in the states. It wasn’t for lack of research. I looked around for a year.

80BEF602-1048-4B07-AE6F-DDE53D1C04D2.jpeg
83E41869-569F-41AF-B470-03ED4E7F3A17.jpeg

Now, here is a comporable 380mm momo prototipo (Ferrari) from a good vendor in the US. Have you ever seen a momo wheel with that soft leather or that X stitch on the back of the spoke wrap? This is a $3,000 steering wheel. I think they did a good job, better than most. The leather isn’t right however, and neither are the spoke ends. This might have been addressed by and OCD customer, but perhaps not.

75831F5B-D6AB-4D61-8E44-30477F2DF2BA.jpeg

Source:
http://www.craftcustoms.com/

Last edited:

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
Yikes!

I sent a facebook message to the employee asking for contact info on the steering wheel restorer...

tferrer

Site Donor
Reaction score
So I had a 73 RSR clone w a 380mm bat wing wheel that Autobahn Interiors in So Cal double wrapped to emulate the 73 RS wheel and I thought they did an excellent job though I'm no expert.

I've heard good things about Carbone in Poland. Never had a wheel done but their decals and factory stickers are perfect. They'll make anything you want basically...

20190330_122048.jpg

IMG_20190217_123913_728.jpg

Last edited: