sold $125,000 BMW 2002

adawil2002

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Won't do a thing for increasing the value of 2002s in my opinion. This '02 has been a very well documented build from the start with several videos and recent magazine articles in Bimmer and the Roundel all leading up to the auction. It was also for charity and a tax write off for the wealthy buyer which helped to inflate the price.

Think of the 2015 30th anniversary M5 that was auctioned off at Barrett-Jackson for charity for $700K plus buyers premium. One could buy one of the other 29 30 year M5s from the dealer for much less and their prices didn't increase because of the auction.

If it were a straight up auction the price of the Clarion 2002 would have been much much lower.

BimmerBud

Reaction score
This astounding result will inflate the value of 2002s in the minds of 2002 owners. Even though this was a charity auction, none-the-less it will be a documented record for a non-turbo 2002. The 2002 is a BMW icon, and I hate to say this, but is much more important to the history of the marque than our coupes are, even considering the racing heritage of the E9. It may have a small impact on the current 2002 market for exceptional examples which has kept pace with and sometimes exceeded coupe values. After all there are a lot more Bimmer enthusiast's out there who have had a 2002 in their past--myself included having owned three of them--than there are with E9's.

Honolulu

Reaction score
My brother put 12" speakers in the back of the '65 Malibu surf wagon (this was back in the 70s). Some hippie chick he picked up on the road put her foot through one. This trunk looks like it's ripe for the same treatment.

Seriously, if you owned this, where/when would you drive it? Well if you have to ask, you probably can't afford it. shucks.

scottd

Reaction score
It will absolutely help the value of 02s and likely all Classic BMWs to get that attention and price. Unlike the M5 mentioned above, one can't just walk into a dealership and buy a 2002.

Scott

CSteve

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
It is terrific that 100% of the sale price goes to a worthy charity. But I do not understand all the fuss over a formerly big bumpered, square tail light, overweight 2002 that in no way resembles the chrome bumpered, roundie, lightweight, iconic 2002tii.

Steve

Dirk

Reaction score
Some very generous individual felt like giving $125,000 for cancer research and should be applauded for that. Had he gotten a paper receipt, no one would ever mention that he paid $125,000 for a piece of paper or what it would do to the price of paper.

As to the value of this resto-mod 2002 ? I'd say it's the cost of building one. There are plenty of fairly rust free non-tii 2002's out there and perhaps even one with the nose welded in correctly.