Solved- Need the correct radiator fan and coupler

billpatterson

Site Donor
Reaction score
Hi there
Need help with identifying the correct fan and viscous clutch. It seems I purchased the wrong fan and viscous clutch, as there's not enough room between E3 rad and B35 water pump with large threads for coupler and fan.

I purchased a used unit on Ebay (fan part# 11521712058 and clutch part# 11527505302). Searching these part#s they come up for the M30 but late models. The Ebay was mislabelled :(

This post https://e9coupe.com/forum/threads/original-fan-clutch.40345/#post-350942 #2 suggests part# 11521273086 (E30) for fan and part# 11521723918 (E30) for the viscous coupler (4 bolts). Are these the correct ones?

This fan does look thinner than the used one I purchased. See pics below.

THX!
-Bill

B35 waterpump and viscous coupler/fan threaded mount,

1654479905298.jpeg

Wrong Ebay purchase,

g4GoxLvGSGaiH6laAq7L0g.jpg

445ti8STRD6YQ90U02JtoQ.jpg

Qn63G9sUR+ipQv9I6J0MYg.jpg

Last edited:

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I have the latest large nut/spin-on clutch and black on my b35 and I have room with the original two row radiator. The Chamonix coupe has stock motor and early viscous four bolt mount with a red fan and recored rad, fit is fine but tight.

That fan is your problem.

F1210D28-6797-4750-944C-F0DA125AC9CA.jpeg

billpatterson

Site Donor
Reaction score
I have the latest large nut/spin-on clutch and black on my b35 and I have room with the original two row radiator. The Chamonix coupe has stock motor and early viscous four bolt mount with a red fan and recored rad, fit is fine but tight.

That fan is your problem.
Hi Chris,
Any chance you can post a few pics and maybe part #/s?
I am going to see if the viscous coupler I have will work with a different fan.

Thx

billpatterson

Site Donor
Reaction score
Pic just posted, first time I’ve seen that fan.
Thx
Do you recall if the fan has 4 bolts or 3 bolts that attach it to the coupler?

I separated the coupler and fan and even the coupler is too thick to spin unto the water pump. The thickness of the fan+coupler is 68 mm and just the fan is 42 mm.

My rad is also original; pressure tested and painted.

-Bill

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Thx
Do you recall if the fan has 4 bolts or 3 bolts that attach it to the coupler?

I separated the coupler and fan and even the coupler is too thick to spin unto the water pump. The thickness of the fan+coupler is 68 mm and just the fan is 42 mm.

My rad is also original; pressure tested and painted.

-Bill
Fan has four bolts, I’ve never seen a three bolt fan, your blades stick out too far.

billpatterson

Site Donor
Reaction score
Hi there
I spoke with Don Lawrence and one of his techs at his shop this morning and they both were very surprised by the lack of room I have between the B35 waterpump and my radiator. After discussing the problem and looking at several pictures, Don suggested to check the engine mounts to ensure the locating pins and the studs are located correctly (locating pin to the rear; studs to the front). The test was if you can comfortably fit your hand between the back of the engine and the firewall.

Having a look this evening, found that the studs on my mounts were in the front hole on the subframe BUT in the rear hole on the engines mounts. After loosening the tranny cross mount, exhaust down tube mount, and the center support bearing, and jacking the engine up, I was able to shift the engine back about 1/2" and I relocated the studs in the front hole. Tightened everything up and I have gained about 1/2" and space for the viscous clutch and fan.

Super happy. Thanks Don!

-Bill

Yes; something is wrong; engine mount studs in rear holes?

1654748601849.jpeg

No; proper spacing; engine mount studs in front holes,

1654748520028.jpeg

1654748559496.jpeg

1654748873379.jpeg