SOS - CAR WONT START ... HELP!

bimmerboy73

Reaction score
went to start the car today after lunch and it wouldnt turn over. Had it out for a nice run during lunch without incident. I have noticed a slight fade in ignition strength at startup over the last few days but nothing that caused alarm. Just something i noticed. Anyway, checked all the ignition wires, checked fuel pressure, changed plugs, checked battery terminals, starter connection, dizzy / coil connection (msd coil... starting to wonder about it ) and all check out ok. So... one thought is that it could be the ignition kill attached to the alarm system installed by the PO (Alpine 8027 with keyless entry). Only considered it as a possibility because the battery in the remote conked out on me recently and i had become concerned that if the system sets itself silently and automatically ( it would be silent in any case as the horn connection was severed by the PO) and i coulnt disarm prior to entry that the system might cut the ignition. However, the engine does try to turn over, it just wont catch. Which makes me think that the alarm might not be the culprit ( i seem to remember the ignition kill in a previous car of mine would just yield a click ... click click sound if it was enabled). So now i'm thinking that maybe the points are crap. Hadn't gotten around to them yet as i was trying to track down a Mallory elct. dizzy to install or a pertronics system. I'm new to the point system so am not familia with the warning signs or symptoms of failure. Is there a visual indication at all? how can i check wear? Only other clue i could add is that i had the car at cruising speed today (~80mph) for the first time since i've owned it. No unsual sounds, temp was normal the entire time... everything seemed perfect...

So... its 930 pm and my car is stranded at my job... dont think i'll be able to sleep tonight. Would love to at least get it home so that i can tuck it away in the garage.

Your help is greatly appreciated.

Oh... carbs are newly installed and were just rebuilt.

Did i mention that there a $11 reward to anyone that can help me get it started...

Thanks

bimmerboy73

Reaction score
one more thing

if the points are the problem, is there something temporary i can do to get the car to start?

PS - timing checked out ok. Even double checked the dizzy to make sure everything was zeroed in @ TDC.

Thanks!

Malc

Reaction score
Things to look at
Coil
Distributor cap
Rotor Arm
wiring

Are you getting any spark at all?
Take a lead off and check with a spare plug while cranking

Voltmeter and or bulb with leads would help in some checks
Have a look at the points
If the points are closed (making contact) gently pull apart. Do the contacts look good ie not worn out, pitted or dirty?

Connect test meter or bulb across both sides of the points and turn ignition on, gently pull points apart the bulb should light or the meter show volts.
If not either no power or the condensor could of failed.

If possible get the points on cam ie open - is the gap ok?
Rocking the car in gear ignition off will work.

Distributor cap - clean and dry, look for tracking cracks and damage. Centre contact still there?

Rotor arm - clean, no tracking - if new beware a lot of cheap and nasty aftermarket ones out there right now

Coil - check resistance across low tension side should be some. only way to check is to swap it out.

Condensor - it's there to suppress arching (sparks) as the points open and close. Turn ignition on an pull points apart - big spark? could be condensor

Distributor wires - make sure none of the internal wires or connectors to the points and the condensor are making contact with the body of the distributor.

You say your on carbs so I assume you have a mechanical pump. If using an electric one is it running ok?

nealf

Reaction score
Either points closed...

or a wire to the distributor broke. These both happened to me recently on my '02. Regap the points on the high spot on the dist lobe. Or recheck for a bad wire connection.

Good luck.

nf
'70 2800CS
'72 Bavaria 3.0
'73 2002

chicane

Reaction score
Malc said:
Are you getting any spark at all?

+2. If you aren't able to start the car at all it is usually one of two things, no spark, no gas. Have you absolutely insured that you have these two critical things? Also, a tow truck will get your car home so that you can properly test it... :)

Ed G

Site Donor
Reaction score
You said "wouldn't turn over" Do you mean starter turns engine but engine won't "fire up"? Or do you mean starter won't turn over engine?

Former- Already addressed well in previous posts.

Latter- Could be battery, starter solenoid, starter, ignition switch and/or maybe something else.

Tom M

Reaction score
"However, the engine does try to turn over, it just wont catch."

If the engine is turning over at normal cranking speed, observe the Tach.
If it is twitching, you should have spark.

Remove the air cleaner cover, gently prop open the choke of one of the carbs and look down the venturi while you work the thottle linkage. If you can see the accelerator pump squirting fuel down the venturi, you have fuel.

bimmerboy73

Reaction score
safely home...

all,

thanks for all the advice. Turned out to be the points. Luckily, the local advanced auto parts actually had a set in stock. Stopped by there first thing this morning to pick them up and installed them at lunch. Didnt have my feeler guage in the car when i installed them so i had to improvise and use my digital caliper and a stack of Sticky Notes to set the gap. Stupid thing is it ended up working pretty well. Just got the stack to an eyeballed .5mm and kept on removing sheets until i got to the spec'd dimension. Checked it tonight and it turns out i was only 2 sheets off :D . Note to self... in event of emergency... (pun absolutely intended). Anway. I'll catalog all the troubleshooting advice you guys provided and store it away for future reference. The forum saves the day once again...

:wink: