Source for Reasonably Priced E3 Exhaust?

thehackmechanic

Reaction score
Anyone know of a source for a reasonably priced E3 3.0 exhaust? The only option I can find is the dealer. Getbmwparts.com, who usually gives a pretty good discount, is quoting $371 for the front muffler and $351 for the rear muffler.

Anyone know if the 2800 E3 exhaust fits the 3.0 E3? It's substantially less expensive. If so, is it horribly corked-up in some way?

--Rob

Luis A.

Site Donor
Reaction score
Rob,

I looked everywhere as well and even tried to get some folks on German Ebay to ship me their very reasonably priced non-BMW mufflers to no avail. Maybe you can try them and see. There are some pretty reasonable ones there.

I eventually got mine from Blunt as he (BMW) was running a 20% off sale but shipping was reasonable as it was close to actual shipping. All other vendors get wrapped around the axle with those oversize items and overcharge for shipping negating any discounts. Also, if items are in Germany they charge for that shipping. Blunt didn't, and nor does my dealer, who at a 10% BMWCCA discount, would've been my ultimate source.

Besides, the U571 packaging from Blunt wins the prize:

P1040824.JPG

P1040827.JPG

restart

Reaction score
fwiw, occasionally, when in a pinch, I just get a good muffler shop to make up an exhaust. not expensive and you can choose your resonator/muffler combo.

thehackmechanic

Reaction score
BavBob, I found Classic in upstate NY. They have the 2800 exhaust on their web site but not the 3.0 exhaust. That's why I was asking if anyone knew if there was a problem using the 2800 exhaust on a 3.0 engine.

G-Man

Reaction score
Rob,

I would check with these three shops in So Cal.
-Carl Nelson (La Jolla Independent BMW)
-Coupe King
-Mesa Performance

I found all the parts that I needed for my former E3's at the above shops when I lived in So Cal.

G-Man

jmackro

Reaction score
Does Bosal still make parts to fit the e3? I got a rear muffler for my e9 from them several years ago, but believe they have since discontinued making that part. Some quick Internet searching failed to find Bosal parts for a '73 Bavaria, so this might be a dead end.

Do I remember something about 2800 exhausts using a smaller diameter tube than the 3.0? But would that matter on anything but an all-out performance car? My guess is "no".

Last edited:

CSteve

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
About 10 years ago I replaced the entire exhaust on a new(to me) 76 Si. On whim I stopped in the local Meineke shop. The guy really knew what he was doing and mounted a complete system from header to tail for about $500. You have to get lucky and find the hidden talent. It's out there.

Steve

Tierfreund

Reaction score
THe 2800 exhaust will fit and work just fine. BUT it is smaller in diameter (55mm instead of 60mm) and thus ever so slightly restrictive.
Also there are different versions of the 3.0 ehaust (I believe pre73 and after 73) with either 2 or 3 mufflers (the earlier version having a small extra muffler just in front of the rear axle) and late cars (75 on?) have two smaller pipes from the front muffler to the rear and then a twin exhuast. Also there´s the short and the long wheelbase...

Just get the 2800 exhaust and fuhgeddaboutit. The downpipes are always the same so you can go 2800 from them onwards.