Southeast Sharkfest 2020! E9s unite!

xing6666

Reaction score
I wanted to write an extend a direct invite to the e9 community to join the festivities at Southeast Sharkfest in April. For those of us who may not be familiar, click here for a writeup from last year from Chris Ohmes. I like to think the feedback from the others who attended captures who we are, and the quality of event we strive for - though I will say that while our group started out as an e24 gathering, we greatly desire an equally strong e9 and e31 presence (and have created judging classes to match this desire). It was my great pleasure to see such a wonderful collection of e9s on the field last year and would really love to have more of you become part of the family. :)

The Details

Where:

At long last we are thrilled to announce that Southeast Sharkfest 2020 will return to Chattanooga, TN! We had so much good feedback from our 2016 event that we decided to return for another year. We are very excited to revisit the downtown area and will have lots of activities planned.

When:
The event will be held on the last weekend of April. Festivities will commence on the evening of Thursday April 23rd, and conclude on the morning of Sunday, April 26th.

Registration is NOW OPEN.
Please visit www.bmwsharkfest.org to register!

(below image from Southeast Sharkfest 2019 in Spartanburg, SC blatantly plagiarized from Wayne Killen)
IMG_6502.JPG

Last edited:

Ohmess

I wanna DRIVE!
Site Donor $
Reaction score
Kai's group does a very nice job with this event, and the core group of attendees are really great people. Kai gets good sponsorship and every penny he takes in is dedicated to what we attendees experience.

Last year, I saw this oriental dude taking pictures of my car and struck up a conversation with him. Matt Mattsuura is a member of an e24 group in Japan, and he and one of his buddies called Kai about shipping their cars to the US and driving from Long Beach to Sharkfest. Alas, the lead time was too long to get the cars there, but Matt made it. In honor of his enthusiasm, he received the Sharkfest Ambassador Award. (I snapped a picture of him that I posted in last years' thread). Here's hoping Mattsuura San and his group can make it this year!

Last edited:

Ohmess

I wanna DRIVE!
Site Donor $
Reaction score
Well, Andrew Wilson had the foresight to incorporate my picture from Sharkfest last year into the coupe calendar in April, 2020, so that should be a nice reminder about your April gathering for people who bought one.

I think I saw elsewhere that Gary Beck has signed up - I can't wait to see his car. I'm coming, as is Doug Dolan. Wayne Killen (e9wayne) has also committed to join us, so we have the makings of a Washington DC area caravan.

I previously discussed this with Tom Baruch (he had his coupe in the hotel lobby last year). Tom has made the last two (in 2018 we constituted fully 2/3 of the coupe contingent), and I hope he can come again this year.

Adkfrank

Site Donor
Reaction score
I'm signed up for the Mid-America 02 Fest in Arkansas the same weekend. Chattanooga is a fun site.
Each year Mid America and Sharkfest are held on the same weekend. This forces me to alternate attending the two events.

Ohmess

I wanna DRIVE!
Site Donor $
Reaction score
This conflict with Mid America is maddening as a number of coupe owners also have 2002s and really like the Mid American event. Oh well.

xing6666

Reaction score
I'm sure sorry to hear that there is a conflict with 02 fest. It's honestly not one of the events that was on my radar to try to avoid. We could always back up or forward a week, but my guess is unless they are very local, most people wouldn't go to 02 fest and then Sharkfest a week later (or vice versa) anyway. Sadly, I think it's always going to be a conflict. :(

E9Wayne

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Wayne, Doug and Chris are in again - last year was so fun and my first event. Tom Baruch should be there too. This is a super friendly and intimate BMW gathering that is super interesting with the E24 and E31 youngsters there too. I hope Gary can come and Steve with some of his Boudin favorites from down south. Kai and the team do a great job organizing this.

adawil2002

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I'm sure sorry to hear that there is a conflict with 02 fest. It's honestly not one of the events that was on my radar to try to avoid. We could always back up or forward a week, but my guess is unless they are very local, most people wouldn't go to 02 fest and then Sharkfest a week later (or vice versa) anyway. Sadly, I think it's always going to be a conflict. :(

I am one of the people who would attend both if the events were staggered.

Ohmess

I wanna DRIVE!
Site Donor $
Reaction score
Kai sent a note around last night. Sharkfest is cancelled. Kaput.

The Car Gods obviously want to keep me from ever seeing Gary's car.

Stan

Site Donor $$
Reaction score

NC Governor Cooper Issues Executive Order Closing K-12 Public Schools and Banning Gatherings of More Than 100 People

m5bb

Site Donor $
Reaction score

Thanks Chris, I bummed out too and now The Vintage may be threatened. I've had two local shows cancelled but still have one in June in Highlands NC.
This is getting depressing but try to stay healthy and support your local restaurants. The economy is really taking a hit.

I signed up for a local Corn Hole league. Since it is outside and not really close to people they are going to keep it open. Should be enough beer to kill some germs.
Bring our own corn hole bags and wear gloves is all they asked.
Take care everyone.
Gary