Speedo question and others...

BAB30

Reaction score
Hi folks, first time user here, really glad I found such a forum dedicated to the ever so gorgeous E9 :-D

My dad has acquired an E9 about a year ago, and has done some restoration on it. he asked me to try and help him to locate some parts as he's not tech literate, and parts for the E9 are really hard to come by in this part of the world (South East Asia).

So, first of all he wants a new speedometer, as ours has died. I'm not too sure about what's wrong with it, might be a dead electrical part or something, but basically it just doesn't work anymore. I'll really appreciate it if someone could tell me how to fix this, should I just find a replacement speedo, or might it be an easy repair?

Also, where would be the best place to find an authentic retro looking stereo? I've seen alot of websites mentioned here that sells them, with modern components (like aux in, etc.) but I just want to know where do most of you get yours from? Also, do they come with a CD player usually, or isit just FM/AM and aux in?

Thanks in advance, I might post up some pics of our E9 sometime soon ;)

Sven

Site Donor $
Reaction score
The the drive cable from the transmission to the back of the speedo dial may have come off. There is a threaded ring that secures the cable to back of the speedo housing. You can reach up and feel it. The cable it quite stiff so is easy to find. It passes through the firewall in the upper left side (by the wiring). You might check that first. Also check that it is engaged in the transmission housing. There should be a bolt to keep it from sliding out.

bmwmadman

Site Donor $
Reaction score
As Sven mentions check the cable connection.. Not as common but also could be a broken cable or perhaps the speedo itself. If it is the speedo, I would recommend having it rebuilt so you know exactly what you have. Hollywood Speedo in popular in the states. Localed in California.

As for the radio, look on ebay. Blaupunkt was a popular unit that dealers used back in the day. You can find units that have been restored to others that are broken or not working. You can alway purchase a broken one and have it rebuild to your likings.

Gary

m_thompson

Reaction score
If it is the speedo, I would recommend having it rebuilt so you know exactly what you have. Hollywood Speedo in popular in the states. Localed in California.

I will second the recommendation for North Hollywood Speedometer. They do really great work.

BAB30

Reaction score
i've been pretty busy the past few weeks, didn't have the time to reply back on here. thanks all for your replies, much appreciated.

here's some pics of my E9, not the best of pictures but they'll do for now :)

IMG_0270.jpg

the front headlights have actually been fogged out, me n my dad will either try and have them cleaned, or try and source for replacement ones. anyone know where's a good place to get them? also, its not visible in the picture, but the BMW badge has been discolored, where's a good place to get replacements?

IMG_0271.jpg

the rims are from a rotten 1st generation 6-series bimmer my dad had lying around, really looks good on the E9, though in my opinion it'll look alot better chromed, but where we live the re chroming service is really bad, the chrome will fade away pretty quick.

IMG_0272.jpg

the speaker system was from another donor car, a pretty beat up Daimler Double Six we had lying around. a Harman Kardon system, its a really good system, only we havent gotten round to installing the stereo unit yet. i'm gonna try and convince my dad to opt for a more retro looking radio unit to go with the speakers, as he intended to bring over the Daimler's radio unit into our E9, it's gonna be sacrilege as the radio unit has the Jaguar logo on it....

IMG_0276.jpg

again, the BMW badge on the rear quarter panels have been discolored, recommendations for where to get replacements please!

also, our E9 now has only 1 side mirror on the driver's side. having just one side mirror really lets down the overall look on the car in my opinion. anyone knows where i can get new ones? would i have to look for similar looking ones or are they all more or less a universal fit? i'm just abit worried that we might have to drill in new holes or something like that on the door, so preferably a new side mirror that'll fit in the current driver's side would be ideal. i'll try and get better pics of the current side mirror sometime soon, but for now these pics will have to do :p

IMG_0273.jpg

the interior, custom restored to as shown. only missing the radio head unit, and needs abit of tidying up. i'm gonna try n look around for a nicer steering wheel as well, those Nardi woodrim ones look really good but are quite pricey from what i've seen offered on the internet.... anyone knows where i can get one cheaply?

also prior to my earlier questions on the speedo, it's gonna be quite a hassle for us to ship it all the way to NHS in the US to fix it, if possible i think we'd prefer to buy a replacement unit, anyone can recommend a good place to get it from? the same goes with the clock, ours is dead.

most of the major restoration has been done, it's just the minor stuffs like replacing badges and installing the stereo that needs to be done. as far as i know, its the only E9 in my country. the previous owner had it stored away for a very long time, my dad had to do some convincing for quite some time before he finally agreed to sell it to us.

thanks for reading, and looking forward to the replies! i can take more pics on request as well. :)

deQuincey

Quousque tandem...?
Site Donor
Reaction score
here's some pics of my E9, not the best of pictures but they'll do for now :)

the front headlights have actually been fogged out, me n my dad will either try and have them cleaned, or try and source for replacement ones. anyone know where's a good place to get them? also, its not visible in the picture, but the BMW badge has been discolored, where's a good place to get replacements?

again, the BMW badge on the rear quarter panels have been discolored, recommendations for where to get replacements please!

also, our E9 now has only 1 side mirror on the driver's side. having just one side mirror really lets down the overall look on the car in my opinion.

. :)

beautiful car
same colour as mine (i guess)
where in south asia ? singapore ?... ?

headlights available in bmw or w&n
bmw lateral bagde = very difficult to find an original (not available any more) only second hand
yeah: new parts made in china available, but the blue is not blue, but "violet" !!!
do not put another mirror, please !

regards, and welcome !

Last edited:

BAB30

Reaction score
late reply, sorry.

i live in Brunei, not sure if you guys know where that is, it's a small country near Malaysia.

anyways, tried to register my coupe on the registry, but the VIN's been scratched off the plate....

IMG_1517.jpg

know anywhere else on the car i might be able to find the VIN number?

Stevehose

Site Donor $$
Reaction score

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
The plate in the door jamb is the color code. VIN is stamped on passenger side of firewall and on motor above starter as well as on the steering column.