Speedometer / Instrument Removal

thehackmechanic

Reaction score
The trip odometer cable has a square end that slides into a square slot inside the speedo. There's no lock. The housing for the cable has a white plastic bushing around it that snaps into a hole in the metal back of the speedo. Just take a thin screwdriver and gently pry up the white plastic bushing; it will unsnap from the metal backing. Then the cable assembly can simply be withdrawn as the only thing holding it there is the bushing. I just did this an hour ago.

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
yep, i just did this too ... just pressed it together and it came right out. getting it into the other speedo is going to take a little more work. i just didn't want to break it.

thanks guys!

thehackmechanic

Reaction score
I was wrong about being wrong

Okay, so when I said I was wrong that the two Phillips screws going in from under the dashboard hold down the cowl... I was wrong. They do. It's clearly shown in m_thompson's writeup.

Nonetheless, there appear to be three different valid ways of approaching gauge removal. I was NOT going to take my air-conditioned console apart to expose some of these screws, so I wound up using the "pull the gauges out from under the dash" method.

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
luckily for me, the screw above the heater controls was undone by a PO. i didn't have to touch it

wazza.csi

Reaction score
Gauge cluster removal

I am sure it is 15 years since I removed the cluster in mine and don't remember it being to difficult!! I spent the first 30 years of my working life removing and repairing Speedometers and the likes! The only 2 I really remember are a MK11 Jag (3 hours and 20% of the skin from the back of my hands) and the 87 Honda Accord where you had to remove 90% of the Dash Heater and Centre console!! E9 Coupe is simple!!!

Stevehose

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Ok here is my $.02 having done this on a friend's car today:

-remove steering wheel
-remove under dash panel
-loosen and push out of the way the multi gauge on left
-remove speedo cable and trip reset cable
-undo knurled knob next to multi gauge
-twist and push away slightly from the dash
-remove the 3 light wires and ground tab
-push wiring harness that runs along the bottom of the gauge away
-gently push the speedo away from the dash then flip it 180 degrees so the back faces you and the glass is away from you
-drops right out behind where the multi gauge would be

For the clock I then loosened the tach and pushed it out of the way then I loosened the clock and unplugged the wires and it dropped right out.

Turning the speedo 180 degrees was the key. I didn't have to mess with the dash screws or anything else.