Square weave carpet install

jjs2800cs

Reaction score
As we indicated in another post we are using Porsche style square weave carpet in our coupe.

We are about to start the process of sewing the binding and fitting the square weave carpet.

Question is the square weave has a grain or direction to the fibers, whereas the old carpet did not so much, so what direction should the weave go?

We are thinking to have it all cut so the grain of fibers is all going from front to rear in all cases, not side to side.

Any comments? Pic of a sample piece below that we have done so far. The new carpet on the bottom is much more blue in person. Also is much easier to work with than the loop carpet, in our opinion.

Thanks

jjs 2800CS

1674576927102.jpeg

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I like the square weave carpet but have found it harder to work with as it is thicker and stiffer. Either way it will look great.

jjs2800cs

Reaction score
Per request of my fellow silver CS owner here in Sarasota, well known Stevehose, here is the machine we are using and have to date used to sew several car interiors.

Machine is from WW2, a Singer. A little research says Singer made lots and lots of these for the war. Obviously used to sew uniforms, duffel bags, parachutes, etc. I was recently told the military is still a huge user of fabric.

When we first got the machine, which I bought locally from a trim shop, the speed was so fast that as a novice was not usable. The warp 8 sewing speed speed makes sense for I can just picture women during the war making parachutes which of course are huge and would take for ever to make otherwise.

When I first got the machine years ago, my wife who taught me much of what I know, often said, "Wonder if this machine made the parachutes your father used in the war". He was a paratrooper in WW2.

So we replaced the clutch motor with a DC stepper motor and had to make a pulley reduction system to slow it sown enough for a novice to master.

The machine is indestructible and can probably be used to sew boots!

Sorry for the interesting diversion.

jjs2800cs

1674581022554.jpeg

1674580943190.jpeg

jjs2800cs

Reaction score
I like the square weave carpet but have found it harder to work with as it is thicker and stiffer. Either way it will look great.
The carpet I am using is from World Upholstery, and is suppose to be real German square weave, well at least I hope it is. Anyhow I find their product somewhat easy to work with. One advantage I am finding is when its cut, the ends do not fray like the loop carpet.

Curious where your source of carpet was?

jjs2800cs

Drew Gregg

Site Donor
Reaction score
I recently had the GAHH brown square weave installed in my coupe. The lines run front to back since most of the pieces are rectangular with the long sides running front to back. The small pieces between the door sill and the seat are the first carpet you see when opening the doors. That would not look good with the lines running side to side.
Here are pics of the finished project. The look is much nicer than the stock loop carpet,and I always liked the look of this style of carpet in the 356 Porsches. Note the first pic shows the lines going side to side when GAHH made an error in cutting the pieces. They corrected their mistake.

Attachments

• IMG_1777.jpg
    IMG_1777.jpg
    457.6 KB · Views: 121
  • IMG_1782.jpg
    IMG_1782.jpg
    472.7 KB · Views: 128
  • IMG_1780.jpg
    IMG_1780.jpg
    424 KB · Views: 113
  • IMG_1778.jpg
    IMG_1778.jpg
    307.8 KB · Views: 118
  • IMG_1776.jpg
    IMG_1776.jpg
    379.8 KB · Views: 116
  • IMG_1775.jpg
    IMG_1775.jpg
    419.1 KB · Views: 110
  • IMG_1772.jpg
    IMG_1772.jpg
    344.7 KB · Views: 113
  • IMG_1771.jpg
    IMG_1771.jpg
    347.7 KB · Views: 109
  • IMG_1769.jpg
    IMG_1769.jpg
    438.1 KB · Views: 122
  • IMG_1768.jpg
    IMG_1768.jpg
    436.4 KB · Views: 111
  • IMG_1739.jpg
    IMG_1739.jpg
    540.7 KB · Views: 111

jjs2800cs

Reaction score
I recently had the GAHH brown square weave installed in my coupe. The lines run front to back since most of the pieces are rectangular with the long sides running front to back. The small pieces between the door sill and the seat are the first carpet you see when opening the doors. That would not look good with the lines running side to side.
Here are pics of the finished project. The look is much nicer than the stock loop carpet,and I always liked the look of this style of carpet in the 356 Porsches. Note the first pic shows the lines going side to side when GAHH made an error in cutting the pieces. They corrected their mistake.
Wow, that looks just beautiful., the carpet and seats! I agree as my personal taste is that I too always liked the square weave of the early Porsche and Mercedes cars.

Thank you for confirming the front to back pattern.

Also, did GAHH supply all the pieces as a kit with the binding already sewed and what is the color of the carpet called? You satisfied with the quality?

How was the fit? We are using the old carpet as a pattern and will try to fit all the pieces before we sew on the binding.

We are also going to stay with the early Porsche interior style with the seats, as we are going to use a Blue and B&W hounds tooth material for the seat inserts.. I just love the early 911's that had the hounds tooth insets. I finally found a source in England that had that color combo with OEM quality.

We are still deciding on whether to surround the inserts with blue leather or use the blue Nylonflock Cord that W&N (51921817333) has on sale right now. Pics below. We are leaning to the blue Nylonflock Cord.

Thanks
jjs2800cs

1674738614186.png

1674738878977.jpeg

vince

Site Donor
Reaction score
Wow, that looks just beautiful., the carpet and seats! I agree as my personal taste is that I too always liked the square weave of the early Porsche and Mercedes cars.

Also, did GAHH supply all the pieces as a kit with the binding already sewed and what is the color of the carpet called? You satisfied with the quality?

How was the fit? We are using the old carpet as a pattern and will try to fit all the pieces before we sew on the binding.

We are also going to stay with the early Porsche interior style with the seats, as we are going to use a Blue and B&W hounds tooth material for the seat inserts.. I just love the early 911's that had the hounds tooth insets. I finally found a source in England that had that color combo with OEM quality.

We are still deciding on whether to surround the inserts with blue leather or use the blue Nylonflock Cord that W&N (51921817333) has on sale right now. Pics below. We are leaning to the blue Nylonflock Cord.

Thanks
jjs2800cs

View attachment 155765

View attachment 155767
If you are going with the houndstooth, I'd vote for the surround to be in blue leather. Can't wait to see the finished product!

jjs2800cs

Reaction score
Drew Gregg

In your image 1772, the drivers side floor piece, its looks like the foam foot rest is not used. Thus the floor piece is larger than stock.

Here is a photo of my old floor piece with the foam foot rest (which we recovered). The old floor piece is cut on the front left to make clearance for the foam foot rest piece,. which gets covered by the other vertical pieces.

Did the carpet set come that way? Is my old carpet not correct?

Confused as we already cut the new piece?

Can you help here.

Thanks
jjs2800cs

1674745612165.jpeg

jjs2800cs

Reaction score
If you are going with the houndstooth, I'd vote for the surround to be in blue leather. Can't wait to see the finished product!
I'll post samples of the hounds tooth laying near the nylon flock and on the old seats which were blue leather when the material arrives. I like leather but I also like the soft look and feel of fabric.

Thanks
jjs2800cs

Drew Gregg

Site Donor
Reaction score

Thanks
jjs2800cs

View attachment 155765

View attachment 155767
JJS-- The GAHH Brown #503 is the carpet in my car. The pieces were all bound with dark brown vinyl. They have a full-piece pattern for the CS,but their piece that goes over the foam footrest is wrong. I got the original pattern and they matched it. I have the foam under the carpet. If your existing pattern pieces look good in the car,then use them.
The Houndstooth centers on the seats will look best with the solid color blue leather. The blue Nylonflock cord has stripes that will clash with the center pattern.
Please let us know how your project progresses. Your interior is gonna be really nice!! Drew

jjs2800cs

Reaction score
JJS-- The GAHH Brown #503 is the carpet in my car. The pieces were all bound with dark brown vinyl. They have a full-piece pattern for the CS,but their piece that goes over the foam footrest is wrong. I got the original pattern and they matched it. I have the foam under the carpet. If your existing pattern pieces look good in the car,then use them.
The Houndstooth centers on the seats will look best with the solid color blue leather. The blue Nylonflock cord has stripes that will clash with the center pattern.
Please let us know how your project progresses. Your interior is gonna be really nice!! Drew
Thanks, just hope it looks as good as yours!!

jjs2800cs

bavbob

Site Donor
Reaction score
The blue flock seems the same as the original Euro BMW corduroy which came in my car. The corduroy was re-released by BMW. The original surround was a solid color velvet, I used mohair instead, durable, easily cleaned etc.

jjs2800cs

Reaction score
The blue flock seems the same as the original Euro BMW corduroy which came in my car. The corduroy was re-released by BMW. The original surround was a solid color velvet, I used mohair instead, durable, easily cleaned etc.
Years ago we bought an almost rusted in half 72CS as a parts car. It was a US car but it had a solid velvet like surround with the flock pleated inserts. I think the color was a mustard brown. Anyhow we always liked the velvet velour type material, hence why we are thinking about going that route, but as Drew Gregg states that the stripes of the flock material may be in conflict with the hounds tooth. W&N does have a solid cloth in marine blue which could be a better option to consider with the hounds tooth.

Here is that material.

Thanks
jjs2800cs

1674821492100.png

bavbob

Site Donor
Reaction score
As I was re-doing my seats, they released the corduroy but up to that point, I had actually chosen a hounds tooth design for the center portion of the seats. I have seen this design in a Euro 2002 and e24 and it is really attractive.

jjs2800cs

Reaction score
Finally got the marine blue velour material from Germany (another UPS hold up). Here are a couple of photos, one in the sun, and one not, of the velour that has the directional texture to it laying with the hounds tooth material we got from England (which is just beautiful).

Our intent was to use the velour with the hounds tooth inserts instead of using leather or vinyl surrounds. As one can see the velour material is really blue and is quite nice. W&N also supplies the same velour material without the directional texture, but we like the texture. Drew Gregg pointed out the striped texture might clash with the hounds tooth direction, but it does not look bad. In both photos there is a piece of marine blue vinyl supplied by world Upholstery that is suppose to be oem BMW material. We also just got a small sample of the marine blue leather they supply which is just a shade more blue. If we go with the velour, the vinyl will be used for the rear armrests. If go with leather, they will be leather.

We like the velour with the hounds tooth, but am wondering that having the leather surround will be the better, more classy way to go, and yes the smell. Leather hides are expensive however, $600 each and will need close to 3, just for surrounds. Either way we are going to use the hounds tooth.

Comments on which way to go? Thanks for looking.

jjs2800cs

In the sun
In the sun.jpg

In the shade

In the shade.jpg

We started this thread about using square weave for the carpet. We have finished cutting and sewing the binding on and it does not look bad. All pieces were trail fit okay. Some of the binding at the corners are not perfect, but we are happy with it.

carpet.jpg

dave v. in nc

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Looking good with the blue velour..if you go that route, make sure that the upholsterer knows to make sure the velour is cut with the grain the same way on each piece of each seat...so you don't have dark here and light there...you know what i mean since you have been fiddling with it...Personally, I like the leather/vinyl on the bolsters (either one), but if the vinyl looks good, it'll last longer than I'll be around...But the all fabric is pretty (and I don't usually like this word..), sexy. Anyone can do vinyl/leather...Keep us in the loop...