Stahl header removal

CookeD

Reaction score
As I size up the project to remove my Stahl header for refinishing, I am wondering if there are any tricks or things to know in regards to wrestling the headers off of the car. Specifically, I've heard you have to get the car pretty high in the air, etc., so am wondering if anyone has done this before and has any helpful tips.

autokunst

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I wish I head some advice for you - I am close to doing the same thing on my car. Will likely tackle that in the next couple of months. But I have gobs of room between the block and the right inner fender. I'd be surprised if I couldn't slip the headers up and out from the top.
20171111-header-01.jpg

CookeD

Reaction score
Yes I am also of the opinion that they should come right out from the top, but they are pretty long and am wondering if you need to slip them out from underneath... In the next few weeks I'll be working through this, so I'll write up what I find out.

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
its been a long time since i put a set in - that was on a bavaria (30 years ago). i put them in from the top, but it took a while to figure out which one to put in first. as i remember, you had to put the front one in first, but not set completely in place ... then work the rear one in ... then get them positioned and fastened. the car was on jack stands to get under it ... but i don't remember it having to be high in the air. as i remember, my radiator was out of the car as was the big York boat anchor, which made life easier.