Stahl Headers on eBay

andrey

Reaction score
'sure will. they're not exactly the finest quality headers, but they'll fit. I recommend that you order the exhaust manifold 'gaskets' for the E28 535i (two) and install those as well. they have built-in heat shields.

Garrett

Site Donor
Reaction score
andrey said:
'sure will. they're not exactly the finest quality headers, but they'll fit.

Andrey,

Curious what you feel they leave to be desired in terms of quality. What else is out there that you feel is better.

Garrett

andrey

Reaction score
It appears to me that no two Stahl headers are the same, their build consistancy can be pretty sloppy. Sometimes they will fit perfectly, another set might rub a little in some spot, etc. Also I think 'shorty' headers that then bolt to downpipes (Hartge?) are a better design anyway, especially for taking apart and re-installing. There are better headers out there, but they're all either hard to find or expensive for the E3/E9 versions. I think Super Sprint makes something too.

That said, the only real problem I've had with mine is a pretty bad fit that's just there from how they were made. I had to heat/bend one of the pipes quiet a bit to get it to stop rubbing against the frame. However, at the same time, a better bracket at the gearbox would have probably been helpful.