Stahl headers question

bluecoupe30!

Site Donor
Reaction score
I have a set of original Stahl headers and am gonna clean them up and install, but I wonder what gasket should be used between these and the head. Can I use the same factory gaskets as used with the original manifolds? Thanks, Mike

Drew Gregg

Site Donor
Reaction score
Here's a pic of the Stahl headers on my engine. They have a ceramic coating. The shop installed the factory gasket/heat shield upside down when they put the engine back after paint.

Attachments

• IMG_4363(1).jpg
    IMG_4363(1).jpg
    286.4 KB · Views: 88

bluecoupe30!

Site Donor
Reaction score
Just wondering....the stock cast iron manifolds are equipped with cover plates. These appear to protect the ignition wires from the intense heat from the exhaust manifolds. The Stahl headers do not appear to offer this protection. Any experience with spark plug wires suffering ill effects from unchecked heat in cars equipped with the Stahl headers? Thanks, Mike

vraned

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Hi Mike. The later style e24 and e28 exhaust manifold gaskets provide shrouding for the wires. That is what I used for my Stahl install.

Wladek

Reaction score
Just wondering....the stock cast iron manifolds are equipped with cover plates. These appear to protect the ignition wires from the intense heat from the exhaust manifolds. The Stahl headers do not appear to offer this protection. Any experience with spark plug wires suffering ill effects from unchecked heat in cars equipped with the Stahl headers? Thanks, Mike
That type of M30 gasket/cover might be used

s-l1600.jpg

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Wondering about how much the ceramic coating on a header lessens the heat transfer? completely get that its not going to make it go away ... just curious if it alleviates the need for this type of flange.

out of curiosity, is there a part number on this flange gasket? i know i had one on my 2002 but i think my coupe just has regular gaskets

boonies

Boonies
Site Donor $$
Reaction score

wkohler

Site Donor
Reaction score
where can we buy this M30 Gasket? who sale this gasket
There’s a link directly above your post.

I used those gaskets with a set of headers on my E12 530i. I did the same thing with the SuperSprint headers I put on my E12 M535i and have gotten a lot of flack for hiding their beauty. I figure better safe than sorry as there’s a lot of heat there now.

Attachments

• IMG_1917.jpeg
    IMG_1917.jpeg
    220.3 KB · Views: 56

Drew Gregg

Site Donor
Reaction score
My car has that heat shield gasket. It was correctly installed before the engine was removed. Now that I have driven the car for over 3 years and 15K miles with that Stahl header having a ceramic coating, and the gasket installed upside down, there is no evidence of the spark plug wires, or any other part, being affected.