Steel Wheel Versions

E3_UK

Well-Known Member
Site Donor
Messages
360
Reaction score
134
While searching for a set of steel wheels I note that some have small holes between the stud holes and others don't. Were these for alignment with spigots at some point ?. My car doesn't have spigots but the original spare does have the extra holes. Just a query as I'm not bothered since they will be covered by the caps. I see that this wheel without the holes is from 1970, mine (not the one in the photo) with holes is 1972 so presumably the change happened sometime between those dates ?.

received_1024836953926718.jpeg
received_1435838801751795.jpeg
 
The extra holes were used as reference points for wheel alignment, first with bubble gage-based, later using light & mirror-based optical instruments.
Today I guess everything is computer-based, if you can find a shop that will align your front end for your 50+ year old BMW that is!
I'm sure I have a few steel wheels here still no idea what the date codes on the steelies are but happy to assist in your search
if the shipping logistics/cost are not too difficult :oops:
 
My original wheels have the holes. Mine is a 73 with a 9/72 production (which is also stamped into the wheel). Just using these for rollers until I’m ready to buy tires for the new wheels. These tires are from 2021..they will not be driven on, don’t worry.
image.jpg
 
The extra holes were used as reference points for wheel alignment, first with bubble gage-based, later using light & mirror-based optical instruments.
Today I guess everything is computer-based, if you can find a shop that will align your front end for your 50+ year old BMW that is!
I'm sure I have a few steel wheels here still no idea what the date codes on the steelies are but happy to assist in your search
if the shipping logistics/cost are not too difficult :oops:
Thank you, that clears up my query at last !. It looks like pre '72 wheels don't have the alignment holes or at least all I've seen are 9/72 have them and a '69 wheel doesn't. I have bought a set from Germany so all sorted now, thanks.
 
  • Like
Reactions: dp
Back
Top