Steering box rebuild

bavbob

Site Donor
Reaction score
I plan on adjusting the steering box on my 72 Bav to get rid of some of the play. If this fails, I want to do a rebuild. Has anyone attempted this themselves recently enough to confirm parts are available and that this is possible (vintage BMW mechanic friend said quite difficult a job)? Has anyone sent theirs out and to where? Got off the phone with Meridian Auto in Ca, they have no Bavaria boxes, unsure if they can rebuild one until they see it. The E3 box does not cross reference with any others on RealOEM.com. Tx

Stefan

Reaction score
I plan on adjusting the steering box on my 72 Bav to get rid of some of the play. If this fails, I want to do a rebuild. Has anyone attempted this themselves recently enough to confirm parts are available and that this is possible (vintage BMW mechanic friend said quite difficult a job)? Has anyone sent theirs out and to where? Got off the phone with Meridian Auto in Ca, they have no Bavaria boxes, unsure if they can rebuild one until they see it. The E3 box does not cross reference with any others on RealOEM.com. Tx

The way how to it would be the same as for E9. What I know there would be the same type of steering box (power) perhaps different size?

windnsea

Reaction score
Irregardless of whether your box is a manual or power steering box, there are three criteria to assess whether or not to attempt to rebuild it.

1. Leakage of fluid -- Seals are available though I have no idea what size they are.

2. Bearings and wear of shafts within the steering box. Probably all bearings are available but component shafts are another issue.

3. Worm and pinion shafts in the steering box. These were made, case hardened, and are no longer available. Years ago I attempted to rebuild several 2002 close ratio steering boxes that had pitting (wear hardening) close to the center of the box. Getting satisfactory adhesion to this case hardened worm was next to impossible, but more impossible was the opportunity to sand/grind/whatever to make a smooth gear component.

So, my first preference for your condition would be to farm the aftermarket for NOS, worn, or rebuilt.

Happy Camping

WINDNSEA

Mike Goble

Reaction score
If you dig through realoem you'll find that the same 32131111915 segment shaft was used in the E3, E9, E12 and E24. I would imagine that there are a lot of steering box parts compatible between these models.

bavbob

Site Donor
Reaction score
Excellent. I never thought to cross reference the actual parts within the box. Many are the same through to E24. Gives me hope, but based on Windnsea and my buddy, sounds like I will send it out if it comes to it.