13mm hex -you could use an allen if you wish for the look
and strength
allen's tend to be a stronger bolt.
you would need a larger washer

Ohmess

I wanna DRIVE!
Site Donor $
Reaction score
Hi Rex -- I find myself learning about fasterners as I spend more and more time with my car. Here are a couple of useful tools:

Metric-Hex-Bolt-Sizes.jpg
Metric-Nut-Size-Chart.jpg
Metric Thread Pitches.jpg

Layne

Site Donor
Reaction score
"Allen head bolts" = Socket Screws

Actually it's "socket head cap screw" frequently abbreviated SHCS. Standard hex heads are "hex head cap screws". A cap screw only becomes a bolt if you screw a nut onto it. As far as the hardware industry is concerned, there's really no such thing as a bolt since they are never sold with nuts attached.

eriknetherlands

Site Donor
Reaction score
Well that's funny,

Here in Europe bolts and screws are defined differently:
A bolt is something where you have to put something around it to turn it . Independently if there's a nut on there!
A screw is something where you have to insert a tool into to make it spin.

I think (I checked 2 things) that BMW in the repair manual uses the same system: The carb "idle screw" requires a flat blade screwdriver inside it.
"Head bolts' require a 6 sided spanner around them.

Both screws and bolts can have self tapping style threads for wood, concrete or metal. They can also have metric threads like the standards listed from Bolt depot above.

hope this helps.

Last edited:

Layne

Site Donor
Reaction score
That actually makes more sense. But you know America, gotta do it differently than everyone else and then insist our way is the only way. :D