Steering Coupler

ayiakis

Reaction score
In my continued quest to make a mountain out of a molehill power to manual steering project on my E3, I seem to have come up with another small problem-the coupler. The manual steering box has 36 splines, not 54 like the power box. This part seems to be unobtainium, anyone have an idea who might be able to fabricate/modify/produce a u-joint with 17mm 36-spline to 17mm 54 spline? I have tried Woodward in Wyoming with no luck. Thanks-in-advance.

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
In my continued quest to make a mountain out of a molehill power to manual steering project on my E3, I seem to have come up with another small problem-the coupler. The manual steering box has 36 splines, not 54 like the power box. This part seems to be unobtainium, anyone have an idea who might be able to fabricate/modify/produce a u-joint with 17mm 36-spline to 17mm 54 spline? I have tried Woodward in Wyoming with no luck. Thanks-in-advance.

Dang it this is news to me. Subscribed!

Ohmess

I wanna DRIVE!
Site Donor $
Reaction score
You might ask @Keshav if he has any suggestions. He knows a fair bit about manual steering in the e9.

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
My plan for my car was to modify an existing driveshaft to fit the manual setup, but I didn’t plan for this.

With this news, I think it would be safer for me to make a new shaft. It isn’t difficult to source a 1” DD to 17mm x 36 spline joint. Then you just cut the DD bar to size and have the same joint on the other end (presumably - if it a highly available 54).

1296F80D-26E1-482D-9E44-2BDBEF42A0C4.jpeg

Vendors already sell DD bmw steering columns. Here is an e36 example:
67B83AC4-B8F2-4B33-9F93-408F45E222EC.jpeg

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
I’m new- what is DD? The plan makes sense though, just wondering what that stood for.

It stands for double D, based on the profile of the shaft. It can’t spin inside the coupling because two sides are flat.

1AE027F4-A9C1-4E44-8657-A9BB4948903B.jpeg