Stella Clock from BMW art car, thread disappeared ?????????

BMW Pete

Site Donor
Reaction score
Well, I waited 18 months for my moment of Karma and earlier this week it appeared. BMW art car advertised a Stella clock made using a secondhand wheel rim. I very politely responded to the post recommending people use extreme caution in sending them money and maybe PM me if you wanted to hear my experience with them.

Obviously, they know who I am and the next day they removed their post………I had a Dick Dastardly moment, drat, drat and double drat……….I so wanted it to stay up there, I wanted others to know what this couple (Joan Mendez and Micheal ?????) are really like. Is that small minded of me for a non returned deposit……maybe?

So, here is the short version of the story. I was interested in purchasing their 850 from them and sent a $1,000 refundable deposit subject to inspection. I asked the local BMW dealer to arrange the inspection, as they are in Florida and I am in Seattle - bit of a long drive for me. This inspection took a few weeks to arrange because they claimed they would not drive the car as it had no tabs, so they had to arrange to have it trailered.

The car was eventually trailered to the local BMW dealership and I got a call from the service manager. He stated he would not waste my money inspecting this car any further, it was well known locally and was so far from being as described to me that he would be wasting my money and his time by inspecting any further. I have since heard in BMW circles that the owners have less than stellar reputation locally, but I will stick to my own personal experience for this post.

Anyway, i politely emailed the owners, saying the car is not for me and I would like my deposit returned. I got no response. I waited a while and again requested the return of my deposit and again….no answer. I emailed threatening legal action and again, got nothing in response. My last email many, many months ago was stating that one day in a scenario exactly like this I will let others know what you (Joan and Micheal) are really like.

The very last message I received from them was on the day of the inspection saying they were furious with everyone, including the dealership, and they had to use two of their AAA tows to get the car to and from the dealership. If that’s true, let’s hope nobody was waiting too long for a genuine tow locally.

So, in summary, seeing them on here and explaining my history with them was my moment of satisfaction/Karma. Their answer was to remove their post trying to get more money from others, I hope that removal says enough to everybody.

Many of you who know me know $1,000 will not change my life, but we are small community of people who work very hard for our money, we do not need the these scammers preying on our love for all things BMW.

If they try to sell you anything, check they genuinely own it - there is a reason I am saying this - even if its secondhand, and if you ever think of sending them money……….go take a cold shower and come back and read this post again!

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Pete,

i feel your pain ... BUT, i am disheartened to see this forum used in this manor. i believe that the politics of personal destruction should be left for other venues ... or in a more private manner - i did appreciate that you posted that anybody interested in the offer, for the buyer to beware and for people to contact you privately. i have bought a few things from BMW art car ... and they were at least very close to being as described. please don't misunderstand me - i think that the actions you have described are inexcusable, but i also think that anybody that doesn't clearly protect themselves by executing an appropriate agreement defining the remedies to a situation like you experienced, prior to sending a deposit, is not wise. i also find that when i have done something that is not wise, it seems to sting more.

again - i am sorry to hear of your loss ... but, for the good of this community, lets use this forum in a positive manner. that being said - cautions from personal experience are good advice ... i am just leery of publicly dragging people thru the mud ... as in most cases (but not all) there are 2 sides to most stories.

CSteve

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
RS, I don't see any "politics of personal destruction." Consider: they did not return Peter's $1,000 after 18 months, the service manager at the BMW dealer would not inspect a seriously misrepresented car, and the deposit was "refundable" which suggests some kind of contract or agreement. Inexcusable does not begin to describe their behavior.

HB's post above suggests a pattern of behavior that is not new for this couple.
Queue up a bit of sarcasm here. They!, they were furious with everyone because the dealership would not inspect the car in its present condition, and they had to use two of their precious AAA tows. Poor Dears.

I doubt those clocks exist except in some photoshop universe. And all someone on the board would have gotten for their money was hacked in return.

For further elaboration see the film "The Grifters" with Anjelica Houston and John Cusak.

Sportster

Site Donor
Reaction score
I doubt those clocks exist except in some photoshop universe. And all someone on the board would have gotten for their money was hacked in return.

For further elaboration see the film "The Grifters" with Anjelica Houston and John Cusak.

Well, there's justice for you.

Guilty because you saw something similar in a film. Elaborate indeed.

Seems that for some people one side of the story is enough.

Only time will tell, but not on these clocks, as we have it on good authority that they don't exist.

Arde

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Guilty because you saw something similar in a film.
Seems that for some people one side of the story is enough.

Yep, that is why I fear going to the movies with my wife, I always get blamed for fiction.

Oh, and my side of the story is sufficient for me, guilty again.

At least nobody blamed me for the non-existing clocks...

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
RS, I don't see any "politics of personal destruction." Consider: they did not return Peter's $1,000 after 18 months, the service manager at the BMW dealer would not inspect a seriously misrepresented car, and the deposit was "refundable" which suggests some kind of contract or agreement. Inexcusable does not begin to describe their behavior.

HB's post above suggests a pattern of behavior that is not new for this couple.
i have bought 2 things from BAC - they were both NOS parts, so i didn't have the issue that Chris had.

now, read what i said - i agree what they did was wrong, and said so. what i also said was that his first post warned everyone about the scenario and said if you want more information to PM him. that was a perfect approach - it clearly warned us all about the issue without any inflammatory comments. my point is, a full diatribe with all the details does not belong on this forum ... the precedent then makes it kosher for other types of personal attacks and attitude ... that is what i am suggesting we avoid. this is also why we have a vendor / seller / buyer feedback forum ... and it is monitored for a reason. this is the place that the warning post belongs.

now high speed reverse ... remember when somebody dragged LJI thru the mud - and the backlash? so i get it that most of us have had great dealings with LJI, but i also know a few people who don't have a glowing story there - (my dealings with LJI have been perfect).

there was another diatribe between a forum member about coupeguy and the price he was asking for a nardi wheel ... the member bought one from somebody else and dragged him thru the mud for selling something at a higher price.

so, this is what i am suggesting that we avoid.

CSteve

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
LJI and Coupeguy did not rob someone of $1,000. and sell door seals, always expensive as we all know, that ended up in the trash.
I used the word "doubt" on purpose. True, I don't "Know" but surely given the "facts" above I have reason to doubt.

I see the two sides to this story, perhaps others do not. I do not see any of this as a
"diatribe" although I probably should have deleted my self-described sarcasm. Apologies to all who were offended.
Finally, I do believe Art mirrors life and we can learn from it.
Steve

BMW Pete

Site Donor
Reaction score
Whoa, whoa, whoa guys.

All I was trying to do was warn the rest of you, nobody actually has to listen to me........then it will be just like at home with the wife :)

I had no desire for this to deteriorate into us attacking each other, lets save that for what is the best color E9 ( Inka or Tiaga of course) or wheels on an E3.

I wrote my original post and as explained it got removed. It was suggested I explain the story in more detail and thats what I did. There are many more things I could add, but I they were not my own personal experience, do I believe the people what have told me? absolutely, but I wanted to stick to my facts.

Whether this was the right place or not to say my piece, I will let others make that judgement, as you can all see I waited 18 months for the right opportunity, i.e., they were trying to sell something and therefore it seemed like the right place to warn everybody.

I do believe we have to look out for each other, especially when we are talking about spending money.

If anybody has had a different experience with them, fantastic, I was just telling you all about mine, as I said above nobody has to actually listen.

Pete

verde2002

Site Donor
Reaction score
BMW Pete,

Thank you for sharing your experience with us. I agree with your decision and I am sure you saved a member or two from having to go through the pain you had to go through.

dang

Administrator
Site Donor
Reaction score
To clarify things a bit.... Pete originally posted a reply to the Clock thread warning others of his bad experience. That was fine and appropriate in the thread. After posting his comment, all the original posts about the clock was removed by the author and the thread no longer made sense or had direction. I explained to Pete that I deleted the original thread and suggested giving his feedback to the rest of us in a new post. I didn't notice that it was posted in the General Discussion forum so I moved it here.

We're all just trying to look out for one another and most of us have good intentions. Thanks to everyone for being civilized about it. :cool:

Dan

Nash

Reaction score
Pete

Thank you for your heads up and for sticking
to your facts. So many other forums drift into
name calling etc, it is nice to see a clear and concise
post.

To steal Nicads words

Go Karma!!!

craterface

Site Donor
Reaction score
My experience

I bought a whole parts car from BMW art car about four years ago, but I did not go to meet him to pick it up. I had my body shop buddy make the four hour drive with his trailer. Otherwise, I would know where the seller lives! And I would know his last name to give to Pete. The body shop guy moved away to Tennessee and retired, so I can't go ask him.

I parted out a lot of the car, and sent the remainder to live with Benji in South Carolina for a race car/rat rod. I must have deleted my old emails from art car, too, since it was about 3-4 years ago. So the trail goes cold.

Too bad that he would take that deposit and run. He's ruined his online reputation too boot.

Thanks for warning the rest of us.

scott