Stock E9/E3 wheel treatment

Dick Steinkamp

Site Donor $
Reaction score
In this thread, @dave v. in nc suggested using small center caps instead of the larger hub caps on these stock E9/E3 wheels. I like the idea!

IMG_8619.JPG

@Stevehose showed a picture of that look on stock 2002 wheels. The small center caps came stock on those wheels

377AA387-32EB-4EDB-9584-7F31744DB1F1.thumb.jpeg.7f1656f402b7de353a9d26e51d9be242.jpg

I thought the center caps from the alternative stock spoked wheels might work...

Screen Shot 2022-10-14 at 10.51.13 AM.png

Screen Shot 2022-10-14 at 10.51.52 AM.png

All the above wheels have the standard BMW center bore (72.5, 72.6, 72.56mm ....depending upon the source) but there may be other reasons why the above center cap doesn't work on the wheels I've shown.

Has anybody used just center caps on the wheel shown? If so, what cap did you find that worked?

Previously discussed and possible solutions.

...and we'll need some pretty lugs, too!
I just cleaned and polished a set of lugs for this purpose. Not perfect, but pretty nice....

IMG_8620.JPG

These will fit under the stock cap if it turns out there is no solution for the center cap option, but I hate to waste them there. If it doesn't work out, I am willing to trade them for a set of the lugs that were used with these wheels. The center one in this picture...

IMG_8626.JPG

Previously discussed and possible solutions.

Thanks for that link from 10 years ago! Big help! :)

It looks like the only possible option then was center caps that fit the TRX wheel...PN 36131117649.

The fit is still questionable. The cap is 2mm smaller than the center bore in the wheel. Expanding the base of the cap slightly, perhaps with some silicon or other adhesive might do the trick to keep them from coming off. Also, they need to fit over the hub grease cap...

IMG_8624.JPG

There is about 20mm minimum clearance needed inside the cap

The caps are relatively expensive. I don't understand why. There can't possibly be any demand for them. Does anybody have any good used ones I could buy to experiment with? The Roundels are available and relatively inexpensive if they need to be replaced.

What about using the plastic center adapter/ spacer rings When you get a wheel that has a larger wheel center hole than your car has, these are used to keep your wheel centered , they come in a variety of ID and OD sizes

Thanks, Rick

What about using the plastic center adapter/ spacer rings When you get a wheel that has a larger wheel center hole than your car has, these are used to keep your wheel centered , they come in a variety of ID and OD sizes

Thanks, Rick
Agree...they need to be used when you use wheels with a different center bore than the stock BMW wheel since these BMWs are hub centric. The wheels shown are stock BMW wheels that were originally used on E9s and E3s so no adapter/spacer is necessary.

I may have a set of original lugs if you need them. The bottlecap wheels have center caps that are the same size as those on the FPS wheels that came as an option for our cars.

Thanks for the lug offer, Rob. I'll let you know how this develops.

I'm pretty sure the center bore is the same on both the bottlecaps and the FPS wheels. I think the hope is that since the bottlecap center cap inserts from the outside of the wheel that it may work.

Screen Shot 2022-10-17 at 8.51.47 AM.png

Screen Shot 2022-10-17 at 8.53.11 AM.png

Funny, to each their own. I've always disliked seeing lug nuts. They invariably get beat up by sockets. To me, it is like exposing fasteners in fine furniture.

Shiny hubcaps are so "period", and the smallish center "hubcaps" on the stock wheels have always struck me as the perfect compromise between full wheel covers and having one's nuts exposed. I also run the stock center caps on the Rally wheels of my 67 Camaro to similar effect.

Attachments

• Rallys.jpeg
    Rallys.jpeg
    78.8 KB · Views: 61
I mounted tires yesterday and swapped out steel wheels with the aluminum E9/optional E3 wheels.

IMG_8656.JPG

IMG_8654.JPG

IMG_8185.JPG

IMG_8186.JPG

The steel wheels/hubcaps/trim rings are still my favorite but I like the stock aluminum wheels a lot and it will be nice to be able to change up the look every now and then. I still want to see if we can make the center bore cap and exposed lug nuts work. That will give me a 3rd look.

Back