strange brake problem

sirshorty

Reaction score
I'm rather new to this forum & new to having a 73 3.0cs. I had my brakes redone which included all new lines, new front calipers and pads, rebuilt rear ones and pads as my car was sitting for a long time. Pierre of ultimate cars did the work and came recomended from this forum by a few NY based coupsters. I have been driving my coupe a lot for a few days and suddenly the rear brakes locked up if i just touch the pedal and dont release til i put it in neutral. i can however put it into reverse and go backwards and stop and release the pedal and it is ok. Not sure why i can go in that direction and not forward but pierre is an hour away so before i get it towed up to him I was wondering if anyone had any ideas why this is happening? thanks in advance,

Shorty

Malc

Reaction score
First do you have drum brakes or disk brakes on the back of your car??

If it's drums the following is possible:

1.. Brake shoes are in the wrong way round
2.. the return springs are broken / weak / fallen off
3.. the guide pins (pins and springs that hold the shoes to the back plate) have fallen off / broken.
4.. Handbrake (parking brake) incorrectly adjusted, cable sticking / damaged

If disks

1.. Pads not located properly / jammed / stuck within the caliper body
2.. Calipers are loose
3.. 20 deg Cut out in pistons in the wrong place. should be at the point where the disk enters the caliper. (In forward rotation direction)
4.. Pad locating pins and "anti-rattle clips" wrong size / bent / broken / missing.

In both cases it is possible the rear brake pressure limiting valve has failed. or the system was not bled properly

However to check the rear brakes is a relatively easy DIY job and by inspecting the car you will probably find out what's wrong.
That said if the overhaul was only just done I would be on the phone to the people who did the work and explain the situation pointing out the danger of the situation.
Malc

Bill Riblett

(deceased)
Reaction score
Since you have a 73 3.0CS, I am going to assume your car still has the rear disks it came with.

The symptoms sure sound like a problem with the emergency brakes, which are little drum brakes inside the rear rotor hubs. You don't mention if those liniings were replaced, but it sounds to me like something is wrong with them. Perhaps they were just adjusted too tight and don't fully release?

You should definitely give Pierre a call.

bengal taiga

Reaction score
sirshorty said:
I have been driving my coupe a lot for a few days and suddenly the rear brakes locked up if i just touch the pedal and dont release til i put it in neutral. i can however put it into reverse and go backwards and stop and release the pedal and it is ok.Shorty

You mentioned 3.0CS and rear pads so it is safe to conclude you have rear discs. The symptoms you describe are common to rear drum brakes and quite likely caused by your parking brake. Look at your manual. Your rear disc brakes have very small drum brakes wherein small shoes contact the inside of the disc rotors. If the shoes are too tight, maladjusted, worn irregularly OR if the contact surface on the inside of the disc (ordinarily thought of as the inside drum) is worn or irregular in shape OR if there is loose, maladjusted, broken or missing parking brake hardware not unexpected braking may occur.

If this issue occurs again, try engaging the handbrake. If you are unable to pull the brake handle upward, pull off the cover and loosen the nuts to the cables that are mechanically connected to the rear brakes. You might even have to fully remove the nuts. The other possibility is to adjust the rear parking brakes yourself at the rear wheels. This requires a little more effort and I would suggest consulting a manual. It is not difficult, but I think any manual would do a better job at describing the procedure, especially if you are unfamiliar with it.

Good luck.