Strut nut tool?

Luis A.

Site Donor
Reaction score
Where can the tool be found to undo the strut nut shown below. Although it is easy to improvise with a pipe wrench and other tools, it isn't very satisfying:

ScreenHunter_03%2520Feb.%252018%252007.38.jpg

I do know that it isn't this tool:

ScreenHunter_02%2520Feb.%252018%252007.33.jpg

Nor this one:

P1030885.jpg

Luis A.

Site Donor
Reaction score
We don't have to be like cavemen anymore!

Ok guys, I found it. No reason to go banging around with knives and BFH when there's an elegant solution :D The diameter of the my strut nut is 60mm. You guys think this would work?
Available in several online venues including Ultimate Garage (NMNA) as seen below.

ScreenHunter_04%2520Feb.%252019%252008.15.jpg

Peter Coomaraswamy

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
just for kicks

When I replaced the struts in my 74 I used an air chisel to loosen the retainers then I cleaned them up/deburr etc only to find that the Bilsteins came with new retainers which were different in diameter from the original. Maybe Bilstein has the answer?

Stevehose

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
The bottom picture is the Bilstein tool, I am not sure that one-hook tool would loosen a frozen ring nut. I vote for chisel/monkey wrench and BFH. Can't see it when reinstalled and if you go Bilstein you'll have a nice new one in its place anyway.

Sven

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Here is a homemade strut wrench I made out of 3/16" steel. I think I used a hammer and chisel to remove the old rings and used this tool for installing the new (smaller diameter) Bilsteins. It worked well.

Attachments

• StrutTool.jpg
    StrutTool.jpg
    75.7 KB · Views: 148

restart

Reaction score
Due to recent tool auctions I found myself sorting my tools with new interest;) and remembered I wanted to mention...

I use a heyco hook wrench from one of my old Beemer bikes tool kit. On the bike we use it for exhaust flange nuts. It performs well and looks perfect with your other heyco tools.

97497404-2D82-4518-8BA4-FEAE63DB120F.jpeg

They look like what you see in this auction...nmna
https://www.ebay.com/itm/BMW-Motorc...ee09112:g:DmYAAOSw8H1aY5Za&LH_ItemCondition=4

I also have the aforementioned 6106 too, but I didn’t know what it was for until I read this. So thanks stevehose..
FWIW here is a reference pic of the tool from the blue book.7D3E4CFA-62BD-4AC3-9AB8-7AA36CE06EFB.jpeg

if you do a web search for heyco hook wrench or even just hook wrench you will come up with a lot of options that make this job a little easier. (If you can’t find your hammer and punch:p

12391160-BFC6-487F-89CC-6FB9E99B8DCF.png

JFENG

Site Donor
Reaction score
Those are adjustable collar wrenches, typically for adjusting coil over structure/shocks. And they are cheap. But considering the force which may be required I’d try to get a beefy one.

I use a fat punch with a slightly profited end (a chisel tip is too sharp).

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
This was my tool of choice. I must admit that the nuts were no longer usable after I was done, but it only took 30 seconds to get them both off. :D

cq5dam.thumbnail.900.760.png

restart

Reaction score
Those are adjustable collar wrenches, typically for adjusting coil over structure/shocks. And they are cheap. But considering the force which may be required I’d try to get a beefy one.

That’s why I use the heyco wrench from the bike kit. Like their spammers..top quality and can take the force ..(and May it be with you)
Definitely a proper punch as opposed to a chisel. It just feels ‘more right’ to use a wrench...

restart

Reaction score

Oh..huh!...I didn’t even notice the adjustabiity of most of those pics. So, to clarify, I was,speaking to the fixed versions of hook wrenches. I didn’t have my glasses on when I grabbed the pic....
Cheers

stphers

Reaction score
BF pipe wrench, in most cases, these things are so seized on, it is the only way to take them off. If you get it really tight, they won't make much of a mark, the only mark up if the pipe wrench starts to slip

Gary Knox

E9 Member Emeritus
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
The plumbing shop may even have a 'hook' wrench as shown above. I know the adjusting nut on the struts of my Porsche 928's could use one of the hook wrenches from Home Depot etc. Less than $10 for the wrench as I recall.

Gary

bavbob

Site Donor
Reaction score
PB blaster the day before and pipe wrench while the entire strut housing is still on the car, wrench fits between the spring coils.

restart

Reaction score
Definitely all that...
If this doesn’t work....:)
1F6668BF-D40C-4587-8CFF-70F178E6618A.jpeg
Now I am going to have to go take some pics of tools in the shop that do this more and better. Like gramma said get “the family in the room talking about how to do things is just asking for trouble. “
How do you say in English.....LOL!