Style 5 Torque

Gary Knox

E9 Member Emeritus
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Don't know about those, but I've dis-assembled and re-assembled several 2 piece Porsche and MB wheels (they use titanium allen head bolts). For those wheels, the specification was 20-25 INCH pounds of torque.

Regarding questions below. Remember these are TWO piece wheels. They use about 25 Ti allen head bolts that are small to hold the full barrel to the spider. They are torqued in 3 stages, in a pattern like lug nuts, and a small dab of blue loctite is applied to the bolt threads.. Three piece wheels are a very different story! As I said, I wasn't sure what type the Style 5 are.

Last edited:

decoupe

(deceased)
Reaction score
Titanium vs steel might explain the difference in torque values? Race grade vs road? Would the steel snap if torqued to 25?

Everything I could find trolling the internet seemed to confirm the 18-20 and that seems consistent for torque with the diameter of the bolt.

I emailed BBS America for their recommendation be but unfortunately never received any feedback.

jmackro

Reaction score
.... the specification was 20-25 INCH pounds of torque.

Are you sure that wasn't a typo? Perhaps someone translated a metric torque specification to US units, and didn't understand the feet-inches thing.

25 inch pounds is just two foot pounds - basically finger tight.

Last edited:

decoupe

(deceased)
Reaction score
Thanks for that Bert - wish I had seen it before.

My Style 42 BBS aren't a bolt/nut fastener - the Style 42 wheel barrel is tapped for the bolt - not sure where that leaves me in the torque discussion.

Bert Poliakoff

Site Donor
Reaction score
The consensus when I refurb'd my wheels was 18-20lbs and I believe I used Locktite on the threads as well.

Doug

18-20 + loctite is correct. I checked the torque on mine when I took them apart. A local wheel restoration shop in Phoenix said I was right on with the torque settings. The fellow I spoke to at BBS was an AH as they will not give any info out no matter how hard you pressure them.

bert35csi

Site Donor
Reaction score
Yeah, split rim manufacturers are real tight lip with their tech info. I've had the same problem getting the torque specs from Fikse for my 18" FM-10 rims. Guess liabilities issues are too great for them.

The guys @ www.memoryfab.com are experts in split rims, so they may offer the all elusive answer. They can only be contacted via email, so phone calls will not be answered. Ask for Chris... really a knowledgeable and helpful guy.

Last edited:

Bert Poliakoff

Site Donor
Reaction score
Well there is another way. A good one to know in general. There are torque charts that show torque to be used based on the size, diameter, bolt you are using. They can be googled.

Years ago, I was cruising around eBay and I found a complete factory ETM for the pre 82 6’s. In cludedwas a very thin book published by BMW and giving torque specs. I haven’t looked at it in years to be sure, but IIRC the torque specs there were assigned to the bolts by location of where they went. Now I hope I can remember where I put them as my garage has parts scattered all over it.For my car and for my small inventory of extras. Enough to piss my wife off weekly...