such a deal on red handled screwdrivers?

Tundra

Reaction score
I bought the exact same set on Craig'slist for $50. Anyone paying more than $100 is nuts and deserves to be skewered ( I misspelled the last word to be polite).

jranmann

Banned
Reaction score
Anyone paying more than $100 is nuts and deserves to be skewered

Precisely my point Andre, as on another post today I used the word 'insane' and still wonder why these red screwdrivers bring such a high price, given they were sh&t when new and horrible when old, cracked and are essentially useless as a screwdriver, perhaps made the toolkit complete but under a test on day when you need it as it crumbles in your grip just recall ...

My pal here mentions that someone should manufacture them to fill the void...isn't that the American way, has anyone done this?

Crazy!

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
tools

I don't think an e24 tool tray will ever sell for $350 even with the screwdrivers, they don't crumble like the e9 variety. I didn't pay very much for one I found, the red driver that is, and a fellow coupe owner graciously gave me the other one. Of all the old cars I have owned over the years, at age 57 I can afford to have one that is complete and that I am proud to drive and occassionally show. So if someone wants a red screwdriver bad enough they have the right to pay whatever they want to. Not any different than wanting the proper color fan blade IMHO.

Tundra

Reaction score
Chris is right and I agree with him. People can pay whatever they wish if they want something badly enough. My point was that there is a point at which it simply makes no sense ( to me ). Not to long ago I saw a complete tool tray sell for over $500. On another occasion I saw a set of the shop manuals, blue books, sell for $600. Both on ebay. I just wish that people out there would be willing to pay $70K to $90K for a 3.0cs. on a regular basis.

jranmann

Banned
Reaction score
Not any different than wanting the proper color fan blade IMHO.
You got me there Chris, as I had put that 'nightmare' completely out of my mind! (settling for a black fan blade, does that mean my sanity is intact?)

lol!

I just wish that people out there would be willing to pay $70K to $90K for a 3.0cs. on a regular basis.
Even on an occasional basis would be an improvement?

:mrgreen:

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
"Quote: You got me there Chris, as I had put that 'nightmare' completely out of my mind! (settling for a black fan blade, does that mean my sanity is intact?)

I am not a good judge of what constitutes sanity, I have this sickness concerning coupes, old BMWs and old cars in general. And on my coupe I settled for a black fan blade because the early style clutch isn't available and is crap anyway and the later clutch is the replacement which uses the black fan so I haven't violated my own anal obsessiveness disorder.

jranmann

Banned
Reaction score
I have this sickness concerning coupes...

I've had that very same 'ailment' since the early 70's ala my first 2002 and prior to that on my Fiat Dino and 124's not to mention the Alfa's....so do completely understand the affliction you mention...

lol!

Bertocchi

Reaction score
Loan

Would anyone be willing to loan me a pair of the screwdrivers so that I can use them to make a mould? I am willing to pay for this kindness with an additional pair of repro drivers.
The reproductions would be primarily for show.

jranmann

Banned
Reaction score
I am certain Hayco tool would accommadate your request as long as we didn't let on as to their value when made of red instead of green plastic?

lol!

Heyco 1479 Screwdriver, Heyco 1479, reversible phillips and flat blade, green plastic, 5-3/4" long. Fits some tool kits that will accomodate this larger 15/16" square handle. $ 7.99

hc1479n.jpg

71 11 1 103 190 Screwdriver with hex bolster-(Heyco 1437-125x6.5mm green handle) 9-1/4" long $16.25

hc1437b.jpg

Screwdriver without hex bolster-(Heyco 1430-125x6.5mm green handle) 8-3/4" long $13.75

hc1430-125x65.jpg

http://www.SamstagSales.com/bmwtools.htm#screwdriver-large

Bertocchi

Reaction score
Ran,

I contacted Samstag and they do not stock the 1430 or the 1437. I ordered two each and was told 4 to 6 weeks for delivery.
Two questions; Where would I find an illustration of the tool tray contents?
I have read about a blue cloth with the BMW logo, are they availabe?

Thanks, David

jranmann

Banned
Reaction score
Ran,

I contacted Samstag and they do not stock the 1430 or the 1437. I ordered two each and was told 4 to 6 weeks for delivery.
Two questions; Where would I find an illustration of the tool tray contents?
I have read about a blue cloth with the BMW logo, are they availabe?

Thanks, David

Hi David ... Stan has demonstrated a fine looking kit.

A new BMW logo cloth was sold on e-bay a few months ago but i don't recall what it went for...I have seen them during my research and will keep an eye out for you and PM you when it becomes available. Samstag is someone I have not done business with but one can see that the greens (and the reds) were used in several BMW model toolkits during the Seventies later replaced by a more sophisticated kit in the Six Series cars. Widening your search to include these models might yield result?

71 11 1 115 810 Polishing cloth - with BMW logo. no longer available

Here's an option: http://cgi.ebay.com/BMW-POLISHING-C...CarParts_SM?hash=item2c525d6e70#ht_499wt_1180

Bertocchi

Reaction score
Thanks Stan,

There are two more question; To the far left in the top photo there are two blank spots. I believe one is for what Samstag calls a valve adjusting punch (S) shaped tool? Could the other be a feeler gauge?
Next to the "Tommy Bar" is a double open ended wrench (larger one). What sizes are the two openings?

Sometimes parts manuals list the tools individually with part numbers?

David

Bertocchi

Reaction score
I have the following;

Valve tool 71111103094
Feeler gauge 711111030093 (no longer available)

Maximillian has an illustration but the tray is layed out differently than my car?

Bertocchi

Reaction score
Here is what I have found. I lost out on an Orange book two weeks ago, maybe it has a better illustration.

Attachments

• 28.jpg
    28.jpg
    15.1 KB · Views: 131

PaulinPa

Reaction score
German made red handled alternative?

Found these in a toolbox at work.Manufactured by "Belzer".Handle is not fluted,it is red and it is made in Germany.

Attachments

• redhandeledscrewdrivers.jpg
    redhandeledscrewdrivers.jpg
    21 KB · Views: 218
  • red screwdriverlogo.jpg
    red screwdriverlogo.jpg
    23.5 KB · Views: 133

Atavistic

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Hi David ... Stan has demonstrated a fine looking kit.

A new BMW logo cloth was sold on e-bay a few months ago but i don't recall what it went for...I have seen them during my research and will keep an eye out for you and PM you when it becomes available. Samstag is someone I have not done business with but one can see that the greens (and the reds) were used in several BMW model toolkits during the Seventies later replaced by a more sophisticated kit in the Six Series cars. Widening your search to include these models might yield result?

71 11 1 115 810 Polishing cloth - with BMW logo. no longer available

Here's an option: http://cgi.ebay.com/BMW-POLISHING-C...CarParts_SM?hash=item2c525d6e70#ht_499wt_1180

Hi gys - do you know what colour the logoed BMW clot should be? I have been offered a repo Blue eone?