sunroof motor runs but top does not move

bossrobot

Site Donor
Reaction score
My sunroof opens quickly and then is much slower to close, crawly at end, stopping sometimes, and does not pop up. I replaced the switch with a rear window switch, did not help.

I was checking the motor wiring and the wire block, all look to be very clean, and I noticed that the motor keeps driving the rubber coupler but the drive cable drive gear is not turning. the motor gets pretty warm also. I really cannot tell if the various things that its doing are connected, or not.
Any thoughts?
Thanks
Johnny

adawil2002

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Could be a fairly worn out drive gear or even petrified grease. May want to remove, clean & re-grease or find another motor, it shouldn't get very warm moving the sunroof back & forth.

Barry.b

Reaction score
My sunroof opens quickly and then is much slower to close, crawly at end, stopping sometimes, and does not pop up. I replaced the switch with a rear window switch, did not help.

I was checking the motor wiring and the wire block, all look to be very clean, and I noticed that the motor keeps driving the rubber coupler but the drive cable drive gear is not turning. the motor gets pretty warm also. I really cannot tell if the various things that its doing are connected, or not.
Any thoughts?
Thanks
Johnny
It could be the “ drive clutch” slipping.

bossrobot

Site Donor
Reaction score
Thanks for all the tips !

Update, sorry forgot to take photos o_O
Sunroof trans disassembled cleaned re-shimmed using hobby shop metal shims, made in Japan. I believe for mine it was .2mm x 3 and .1mm x 1 = .7mm total. Also, took a bunch of extra time making sure that the lid was perfectly straight, pulling evenly and that helped the speed during closing. Seems like one tooth makes a big difference.
Loosed Phillip's screws, dropped the trans to disengage gear, slide one side or the other back or forward as needed, measure carefully tighten screws to re-engage gear to cables, operate and observe closing for nice even pop up.
Others may be smarter and able to do this in a move expedient fashion, but that's what I did. Works well !

bavbob

Site Donor
Reaction score
Hagerty values say add 15% for a sunroof and this is another example why I think that should be 25%.