Sunroof - What to do

bwalvoord

Site Donor $
Reaction score
As I look forward to finally driving my car, it occurred to me that at some point I may actually need to put the sunroof back in the whole just in case it rains while I'm out. I understand that driving the car is not permitted unless there is no chance of precipitation, but you never know down here in the South. That being said, I need to decide whether to remove the sunroof as an option and fill the whole, or whether to source all of the parts outside of the roof itself and the crank handle. I have no headliner in the car now and can't (probably shouldn't) have this work done until the sunroof/solid roof is sorted. It may be worth mentioning that the car has no AC (was not optioned on the original car) and I live in SC where a sunroof is a nice option for only 6 months out of the year.

adawil2002

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
You have a sunroof car that has none of the Golde rails or hardware?

I'd source the hardware from a parts car and fix it.

bwalvoord

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Here is a side view. I'll take a picture with the sunroof removed once I get it back from the garage.

Attachments

• Sunroof.jpg
    Sunroof.jpg
    12.5 KB · Views: 223

execmalibu

Reaction score
There are about 25 rare small parts along with numerous special screws that you need!

If you are missing all of those parts you are in deep KaKa! Those parts are very rare and are unique to the E9.. The parts ALL need to be correct and installed or the roof will jamb...

The best bet is to find a rusty car with a sunroof and take everything... I repeat everything! Especially the tiny little special screws,washers, clips, cables and plastic slides... This stuff in all unique to sunroofs

If you are missing one tiny piece you will be SOL the first time you try to work the Sunroof...

DaveG

Reaction score
FYI,
An interesting tidbit came up on the '02 board.
It seems that the cables with the plastic slides molded to the ends can be replaced with a 80's Volvo 240/VW Jetta/Golf part that is an exact replacement, except the plastic bit on the end is metal!
Mine were broken into many small pieces. When I reassemble my e9 when it comes back from the painter, I'll be using these for sure.
DaveG

http://www.bmw2002faq.com/component...ew,next/sid,850b1edae136a9e09dc9bcb5c590c85b/

http://www.bmw2002faq.com/component...ge,viewtopic/t,360510/highlight,volvo+cables/

bwalvoord

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Sunroof Clips

Thanks Dave, it looks like the volvo cables will do the trick and then I only need the gaskets and clear plastic slides. Does anyone know if these are still available from La Jolla?

Attachments

• SunroofClips.jpg
    SunroofClips.jpg
    51.9 KB · Views: 143

DaveG

Reaction score
Interesting... I don't think my e9 sunroof uses anything that looks like that....Or maybe my memory is just bad.....It does have a plate that is that shape but it doesn't have a plastic piece attached....I'll be re-assembling mine in a few weeks. I'll look in the box of parts this weekend....
DaveG

adawil2002

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Interesting... I don't think my e9 sunroof uses anything that looks like that....Or maybe my memory is just bad.....It does have a plate that is that shape but it doesn't have a plastic piece attached....I'll be re-assembling mine in a few weeks. I'll look in the box of parts this weekend....
DaveG

Those pieces are the front rail glides that screw into the knurled front height adjustment nuts.

bwalvoord

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Rail Guides

Yes, this picture came from the 2002 site with excellent details about how to reinstall the roof. I'm headed over to a junk yard to see what parts I can find from a mid 80's volvo and wasn't sure whether these bits would translate.