Super rare!!!

sfdon

Site Donor
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
That car would be soo fast when the turbo is installed!
5AD0DC49-1AB9-48BB-957C-4F539014DD10.png

Wes

Site Donor $
Reaction score
This was on another thread. In terms of what's going on I'd say a mix of unbridled vendor optimism and demand remaining the same, or increasing, while supply continues to decrease. The latter is true for both cars and parts. As I've said before If I was in the US or Europe I'd have E9 wrecks stacked up in my yard 6 deep as values are only moving one way and I'd say quickly at that.

Dick Steinkamp

Site Donor $
Reaction score
This was on another thread. In terms of what's going on I'd say a mix of unbridled vendor optimism and demand remaining the same, or increasing, while supply continues to decrease. The latter is true for both cars and parts. As I've said before If I was in the US or Europe I'd have E9 wrecks stacked up in my yard 6 deep as values are only moving one way and I'd say quickly at that.

You can't pay to much...you can only buy too early. :)

Reactions: Wes

tmh

Reaction score
I bought my first car in 11th grade in 1971, a 1961 356B Porsche coupe, for $175. It was quite rusty with a VW engine in it. For perspective, it had a ratchet extension sticking up from the shift boot for a shifter, a wire coming through the rear firewall for a hand pulled throttle, the starter didn't work, and the clutch/pressure plate was from a VW and never fully released, among other issues. I actually fixed all those issues and it was a relatively reliable and wonderful car. I drove it for 2 years until there was a mishap with a curb. I then bought a 1960 356 B convertible for $150 in 1973 with no engine, a bad trans axle, and it also had major rust, including a couple large rust holes in the floor pan. The 1961 coupe was actually a much more solid car from a corrosion perspective. I transplanted the VW engine and trans axle from the 1961 into that car and eventually found a Porsche 1600 Super engine for $300 out of a wrecked 356. I went off to college in that car and drove it 2 years until someone pulled out in front of me (he was at fault) and it was not salvageable. The insurance company paid me $750 for it and let me keep the remains. I sold the wrecked remains for $350, basically for the engine.
I have seen worse condition 356 project cars than my 1961 and 1960 cars sell on BAT over the last year for $30,000. Those project cars looked hopeless to me.

Ohmess

I wanna DRIVE!
Site Donor $
Reaction score
tmh reminds me of a chat I had with a technician at the independent shop I used in VA for any BMW work I didn't do myself. We were talking about the lack of excitement among kids in their teens and 20s for older cars, and Eddie commented "they just don't appreciate the joy of feeling that they way you are driving, in this particular vehicle, may well lead to a sudden, violent messy death."