SURVEY (unofficial) - Thoughts on the best vintage DAILY driver; must withstand LA/OC/SD Traffic

Bmachine

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
LA/OC/SD traffic? That means automatic with excellent, reliable AC.

You don't say anything about size requirements. One person? Just going to work and back? Need to carry lots of stuff?
If you want to stay with BMW, and unless you need a lot of room, a '90 or later e30 would fit that bill perfectly.

Alice Couper

Site Donor $
Reaction score
1987-1991 ('88 is sweet spot, IMO) Porsche 928 w/ Automatic.

What?! An automatic?! If this is not your only classic, you will get plenty of shifting action on your other cars and as a DD, you can't beat it.
The S4 variant with the updated styling of the front and rear still looks thoroughly modern and relevant. I love the design, inside and out. A rocketship. Manly spoiler... Always wanted one.
The support via online forums is on par with this group, or even better in some areas. *Every* mystery on that car has been elucidated by the Rennlist 928 community.
Great parts support from Porsche and the aftermarket and very rewarding to wrench on as you fix it once and it's done for a while.
AC that works well; plus you can run it through a car wash without much compunction.
And a very nice car with under 80K miles can be had for ~20K in a wide variety of colors and interiors. Every month tehre are a few on BaT.

Not my car but mine is just like it:

View attachment 68349

View attachment 68350

View attachment 68351

View attachment 68352

Also helpful if you have a Trig mid-term tomorrow and you need to evade Guido the Killer Pimp.
"Porsche. There is no substitute." --Joel Goodson

JayWltrs

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Good candidate, but it violates my Fla car rule-the last of my rules I’ve failed to break.

CE27E503-959D-4864-AD33-97740C117DAB.jpeg

JFENG

Site Donor
Reaction score
LA traffic = Automatic transmission.
LA heat = strong A/C, which means GM, Toyota, Mercedes. My X5 A/C pales in comparison to my wifes ML350
LA Drivers = good bumpers
LA gas prices = high mpg
LA Distracted drivers = Fiamm air horns
LA road quality = 70 profile tires and 'comfort' suspension calibration

And when you want to actually enjoy driving on the weekends, that's when you take out one of your classics .. cars that require your focus and engagement to drive well.

Bwana

Reaction score
Last edited: